6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:55 AM

I just bought in a Rolleimarin housing complete with flash and canvas bags and all in very clean condition other than I can't get it apart as yet - I don't think that its been opened in a very long time. But how do I figure out which version I've got (I to IV I believe) and which version of the camera (3.5F) to look for to put inside. I'm not sure what I'll actually do with it - its very clean as I said and perhaps a little long in the tooth for actual use - but its a fabulous looking beast and will make a great display item if nothing else.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:38 AM

Can you post a couple of images Paul? I'd love to get a look at it.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:12 AM

Hi Steve

Here's a very quick 'snap' - nowhere to take pix here at the moment as we have builders in!

Rolleimarin.jpg

Edited by Paul Kay, 06 February 2015 - 03:12 AM.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

#4 FLAFROG

FLAFROG

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:36 PM

Paul,

Have you opened it yet? If not undo clamp with front port on the edge of a bench(Some place sturdy) and swing clamp over the housing and rest where it stops and give a few raps, if that doesn't work leave the housing unlatched in a safe location for a day and repeat. google Rollimarin instructions online for future use. www.cameramanuals.com or http://www.butkus.org

good luck

Bernie 

Edited by FLAFROG, 06 February 2015 - 02:49 PM.

#5 Tom_Kline

Tom_Kline

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Interests:fishes and invertebrates

Posted 06 February 2015 - 04:45 PM

If the serial number of the housing is 1400 (on the front ring; can't read it in the pic you posted) or greater it is a Rolleimarin IV and will fit 3.5F models with serial number 2,250,000 and above. A 3.5E with a high SN as well - as this is what I have - the 3.5E's do not have the knob light meter of the 3.5F's. Earlier models will fit other f/3.5 Rollei models (note lower case f), including some models with Tessar/Xenar lenses as opposed to the Planar/Xenotar lenses. The different lenses require different interface units - the gizmo that fits over the front of the camera - since the filter sizes are different (used to mount the gizmo).

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph. D.
Oceanography & Limnology
Currently used housed digital cameras: Canon EOS-1Ds MkIII, EOS-1D MkIV, and EOS-1DX; and Nikon D3X. More or less retired: Canon EOS-1Ds MkII; and Nikon D1X, D2X, and D2H.

Lens focal lengths ranging from 8 to 200mm for UW use. Seacam housings and remote control gear. Seacam 60D, 150D, and 250D, Sea&Sea YS250, and Inon Z220 strobes.

http://www.salmonography.com/

#6 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1789 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 01:52 AM

Thanks for all the info. The 'interface units' are missing, BUT.....

Having had a really good look at this housing I am now of the opinion that it has actually never been used! I still can't open it as the main seal is well stuck down due, I suspect, to it having been unopened for many years - it needs easing and will eventually open I'm sure. Condition though is fabulous - it is immaculate and very close to being in 'mint' condition. Which leaves me in a bit of a quandry. If it had been used I might just have modified a cheap TLR to get it running, but its in 'collectable' condition and to use it would inevitably change this. So I suspect that I will sell it on - it really deserves to be appreciated as a piece of history in its current condition rather than anything else - even though I think equipment should be used really. In a way its a pity but I'm not a collector but rather a user. And FWIW its and early housing I think - it not to hand to quote the s/n but sound early.

#7 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 25 March 2015 - 11:32 AM

It indeed looks like a new model. Congrats! I had this housing in the 80ties. Inside was the legendary Rolleiflex 3.5 F (75 mm) camera with a Planar lense. Beware that the housing is sealed with flat rings and so called 'simmer' rings, not O-rings. The Rolleimarin also had the option of inserting one of a set of three close-up lenses; the Rolleinars 1, 2 and 3  that could be switched in front of the Planar lense, with the lever on the top of the housing. I think the Rolleiflex 3.5 F with Planar and the  Rolleinar lenses are still for sale on Internet.

Instead of the flash bulbs, I used an electronic flash connected via  an open water connector and thyristor switch inside the housing. As film Kodak Ektachrome 64 (6X6 format).

I enclose  a picture of a Moray Eel  made with  this set in Hurghada, Red Sea. Taken with a  Rolleinar nr 2 close-up lense (apparent distance 30-50 cm)  and single flash. Good luck!

Attached Images

• 8000376430_cf799ecaac_z.jpg

Edited by albert kok, 26 March 2015 - 06:15 AM.