12 replies to this topic

#1 ulcs

ulcs

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

Does any one shoot those types of pics where you have a piece of metal pipe attached to your

housing lens port and the light that comes back in makes a colored swirly pattern around the subject?

I have the pipe; but wondered how long it should be. I need to cut it down.

Thanks

Terry

dtreid@gmail.com

#2 Edwin Westenberg

Edwin Westenberg

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:45 PM

My tubes are 8 cm.

#3 Mr. Grouper

Mr. Grouper

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:35 AM

What type of pipes are you guys using? I've been using a metal pipe I bought a the hardware store designed for sinks If I'm not mistaken with ok results, but the pipe isn't very polished inside and I believe better results can be accomplished using a more polished pipe. The pipe I've been using its around 6 inches long with 1 inch diameter, I use it in front of the 105 mm. 

#4 JMartel

JMartel

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:16 PM

Does anyone have an example of how this looks when done? I'm not sure if I understand what's being accomplished with this.

#5 eric black

eric black

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

I

Does anyone have an example of how this looks when done? I'm not sure if I understand what's being accomplished with this.

Ill second this- what exactly is this???

#6 Mr. Grouper

Mr. Grouper

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:35 AM

I'm pretty sure you guys have seen this effect since some other fellow photographers have been doing it for a while, I believe we simply aren't describing  it correctly. . I'll try to attach a couple of my pics and see if it works. This is my first time adding pictures to a thread so please apologize me if It does not work or I'm not doing it correctly.

Thanks.

Attached Images

• Longjaw Squirrelfish.jpg
  • Royal Gramma.jpg
  • Three Spot Damselfish in  bottleneck.jpg

#7 JMartel

JMartel

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:39 AM

Got it. Thanks for the photos. Certainly a cool effect. 

I wonder if you would be able to find some of the stainless tube used for handrails on boats. Not sure how polished it is inside. The other option is to maybe find some circular sanding balls that fit inside of different grits to polish it up a bit. 

EDIT: Here's a link to a pipe on McMaster that looks like it would do the trick. Polished inside, 1" diameter 1ft long is about $16 USD in 316L. Not sure how much it would be to ship to Canada. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/4466k58

I would think you would want the diameter of the pipe to match up to the diameter of your lens, correct?

Edited by JMartel, 28 January 2019 - 07:48 AM.

#8 echo2600

echo2600

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

Could someone post an image that illustrates how the pipe is afixed to the port?

#9 rwe

rwe

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

There is a commercial version for sale in the classifieds:  http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=63505.  They have a base with 67mm threads and are less than 3" long.

Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), single Inon Z-240, flickr site: https://www.flickr.c...9071@N08/albums

#10 echo2600

echo2600

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:31 AM

Thanks!

#11 Mr. Grouper

Mr. Grouper

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 07:42 AM

Here are some pictures of the one I made, It does work for me but If you have the money buying the commercial version will be my advise. As I mentioned before, I made mine with a piece of pipe from the hardware store and I used a low profile filter thread to attache it to the port or flip holder. I use a Saga flip holder and there is a piece of metal that protrude very close to the thread  leaving no much room for larger diameters to be attached it, that's why I used the low profile filter thread. If you are attaching straight to the port this won't be much of an issue. I wish the pipe was as polished in the inside as in the outside because will guarantee better reflections but haven't found one yet. I may consider buying the machine made ones. 

Here are some pics, yes, it's indeed an ugly piece of hack but it does get the job done for me. The ones for sell in this site are definitely better looking and sturdier!

Cheers!

Attached Images

• untitled-13-3-Edit.jpg
  • untitled-17-4-Edit.jpg
  • untitled-9-5-Edit.jpg
  • untitled-5-3.jpg
  • untitled-7-6.jpg
  • untitled-15-5.jpg

#12 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:08 AM

Which macro lens are you using that set up with; a 60mm or 105mm?

#13 Mr. Grouper

Mr. Grouper

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:00 AM

The 105 mm..In my opinion the shorter the lens the wider the diameter of the pipe should be, this can be tested topside, which its great, just make sure the subject you are photographing is properly illuminated so reflexions within the pipe can be achieved. I find that pointing the device in a bit of an angle instead of straight to the subject produce nicer results.