• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 13 February 2008 - 12:18 PM

Just thought it would be fun to share a record of our meeting recently in Aliwal Shoal south Africa.

All the best guys, hope the tail end of the vacation went well. Did you end up sharing a bed with that wild cat??

Best,
mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#2 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 09:01 AM

Those bubbles weren't coming from my regulator mate if you know what I mean! :D

We had a blast in Aliwal, once Zoe got into the swing of it. Looking back it seems like a dream come nightmare, I know for a fact that its the first time I've EVER felt frightened in the water. The second day was the worst as you know what to expect haha! After that I think I actually started to enjoy myself :excl:

We had fun in the bush afterwards, although the place we went to wasn't the best for big action. Just had an email from our friends who've just been to Sabi Sands - saw 2 leopard kills on the first day - we'll have to head there next time, although I think it's like £500 a night! eek, better get saving!

We'll be back in September. It's weird I'd never been to sub saharan Africa before last year and now I can't get enough. It gets in your blood you know, almost like a drug...

Cheers, Simon

#3 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 10:21 AM

...sub saharan Africa...It gets in your blood you know,...

...malaria :D ;) :D (jk)

Quite alot of sharks in that picture :) :excl:

#4 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Well it depends on how you look at it when you say there are a few sharks in the picture. Look away from the action and see the Tigers, look back to the bait stem and see........40 odd Blacktip sharks all wanting some of the sardines.

Cheers,
Mark.
Hey Simon, this place does get into your blood but your blood also boils when like today when the place we are staying in got robbed. All they got was a laptop with no power supply. Thankfully not the Mac.. :D

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#5 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1406 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Yeah lots of sharks. Take a look at the welcoming committee waiting for you when you jump in! I'd say that they are 'only' blacktips, but they are pretty feisty. I had fins grabbed and if you go near the bait they tend to swim into you at high speed. I got winded from it when one hit me in the stomach and I think most people come away with a few bruises. Zoe got her strobes bitten quite a bit, but they left my cam alone pretty much.

Mark that's crap about the laptop, but thank god it wasn't the mac or any of your filming equipment. If it wasn't for the crime I think I'd move to South Africa tomorrow. It's got such potential but very little hope of ever fulfilling it :blush:

Cheers, Simon

Attached Images

• Blacktips4.jpg

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hey, did I ever tell you guys about the killer bat fish who nibbled on my finger once?
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:26 PM

Haha - or that nasty scar on my forehead caused by a damsel :blush:)

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3849 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:14 PM

Well I got bit by NEMO once on my hand. :blush:

Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos | www.flykam.com.au

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

Yeah but that was from a movie star, I can think of a few stars(Angelina) I wish would give a bite, heck, even a nibble.-Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.