14 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:38 PM

Dear Wetpixel members,

Wetpixel has been a safe venue for the buying and selling of second hand equipment since its inception and I have personally enjoyed many smooth and pleasant transactions with other members of the Wetpixel community over the years and continue to do so.

However, there are always those that seek to take advantage of communities like this, so may I ask that everyone be wary of the possibility of fraudulent transactions please?

Specifically:

• Check out the buyer/seller feedback thread: http://wetpixel.com/...c=25594&page=13
  • Payment needs to be via an accepted mechanism, like debit/credit card, bank transfer or PayPal. Western Union, MoneyGram and the like offer no recourse if the goods do not arrive. I would advise avoiding sellers offering only these types of payment. 
  • Be aware that meeting in person is not always without risk. Chose safe spaces and environments in which to do so.
  • Do not send out goods until full payment is made and in your bank account!
  • Find out the address of the seller/buyer and carry out a Google maps search
  • Search here on Wetpixel to see how long they have been active and what other posts they have made. Although accounts can be hijacked, active community members are less likely to be fraudulent. If they have been involved in discussions outside of the classifieds recently, this is also a good way to verify their bona fides.
  • Google buyers/sellers email addresses. No results would suggest that they have not had the address for long.
  • Google any names that are provided. Again, the vast majority of people active in the underwater imaging community have some form of web presence. 
  • Please report any suspicions you may have to the Admin team. As a community, we can work together to try to prevent these issues, but in order to do so we need to communicate! 

I recently removed a seller that was behaving very suspiciously and there were numerous messages in his/her PM system from members of the Wetpixel community voicing concerns about that seller's validity. Please get in touch with the admin team immediately if you have concerns like these so that we can investigate and take action as appropriate. As a community, we can help prevent other members from falling prey to these types of fraud.

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 scubajoe87

scubajoe87

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

The user that Adam removed was an established member of this forum with 200 posts and a couple of previous sales that had been reported as going smoothly.  Their account was apparently compromised.  I foolishly relied on the account's reputation in sending money in a way that cannot be recovered.  Now I'm out $950.

#3 madmosche

madmosche

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

I was in conversation with that account too, and looked at the previous posts and "user since 2006" as evidence that they were legit. Luckily someone else pointed out that the for-sale post was a copy-paste of a previous sale post from June 2016 and it made me skeptical. Sorry for your loss Scubajoe87 :(

The user that Adam removed was an established member of this forum with 200 posts and a couple of previous sales that had been reported as going smoothly.  Their account was apparently compromised.  I foolishly relied on the account's reputation in sending money in a way that cannot be recovered.  Now I'm out $950.

#4 misiek1935

misiek1935

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:38 PM

I was also negotiating with him but I m some luck because I didn't finish the deal. I stopped because he wanted only wester union payment and he accept to easy my offer

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 1858 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:29 PM

Oh wow, that is a real bummer, scubajoe - so sorry  :(

Like Adam and I'm sure others, I've had many good experiences buying and selling from/to Wetpixelers. I've found people to be honest, helpful, straightforward and also, usually, fun.

The one scam where I was almost caught also involved someone messing about with Western Union payments.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE - Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:45 PM

Good job banning him. I was also about to send him some money until he insisted on using moneygram as payment and I backed off.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

#7 janvkem

janvkem

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

I was in contact with likely the same hacked account (200 posts, member since 2004, selling lots of gear all at once). I asked the person for his address, email and phone number. The address could not be found on Google maps (it did not exist). His phone number showed up at 2 advertisements for bikes (scubagear does not fit a bike :)) and his email address gave me no hits at all which I found highly unlikely. The person asked me to transfer the money using moneygram as he had issues with paypal which already was suspicious to me and next to that I had to transfer to a different name than what that person was called in older posts. After another question from my side he urged me to transfer the money as there were more people interested in the gear. That really made me uncomfortable about this deal so I backed out and got no response to my PM telling him that I did not want to continue the sale. 

Today I got a PM from adamhanlon informing me about this compromise in the account. Great communication and very good that you inform the community via this post, thanks for that!

#8 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:22 PM

I was very close to losing $380 to that poster. Was even at the MoneyGram place and got to the point where I had to fork over the money or cancel the "payment". My gut told me not to do it and for once, listening to my gut was useful... Really sorry to hear about your loss there, scubajoe87. That really blows :(

#9 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:56 PM

Here are some ideas for sellers to ensure their security:

Sellers are generally in a stronger position than buyers!

Get a shipping quote that includes compensation and door-to-door tracking and ask for payment via PayPal before you ship the goods. Stress that any customs duties are payable by them (buyers often do not realize this). 

Avoid payments via Western Union, Moneygram or the like. PayPal or bank transfer/wire are pretty secure.

Do not ship until the money is in your bank account (not your PayPal account). There have been scams (elsewhere) where sellers have received email that seem to come from PayPal showing payments, but these are forgeries. 

Buyers will need to provide a shipping address and other details in order to complete the transaction. Use Google maps etc.ti ensure that the address look legitimate.

Remember you can back out at any point up to the exchange of money.

Please feel free to add any more advice to the thread.

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#10 janvkem

janvkem

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:33 AM

What I always do as a buyer since I have been scammed once:

- Ask for name, address, email nr (when communicating over PM) and phone nr --> user does not want to share, don't pay

- Google all of the abovementioned items and check for anything suspicious --> if seller comes up on scam info sites --> don't pay

- Google the username --> if seller comes up on scam info sites --> don't pay

- ask the user about the information you found on Google. No good answer or a vague story --> don't pay

- Call the phone number that has been given to you or send a text --> not picking up? --> don't pay. Not recognizing you as the buyer? --> don't pay

- Check the payment details and see if they match the information given in the first step. Different name than what was given to you --> don't pay 

What I do as a seller:

- Wait for the money --> no money, no shipping

- Check that the money is in your account via the official methods, don't use links sent to you

#11 nick3

nick3

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:50 PM

caution on taylorsink01

#12 Pajjpen

Pajjpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

Agreed with Nick. Taylorsink01 should be banned, it seems like proper scamming. I was also told by another user that he tried to sell him a housing with a picture pulled of the nauticam website.

Sent from my E5603 using Tapatalk

#13 bluep

bluep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

Yep also had a pm from taylorsink01 - sounded pretty suspicious given they only registered a day before and the wording they used...

#14 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 12:56 PM

I have added a pinned post listing scammers and actions taken:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=59895

Please feel free to PM me with concerns about any individual.

All the best

Adam

Editor-wetpixel

#15 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 2135 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi all,

I have just banned another scammer called "mrhenson".

Another point to be aware of:

I would avoid members who offer goods via unsolicited PMs.

It is easy enough to simply work your way through the "wanted" ads in the classifieds forum, sending PMs offering goods that buyers are seeking...

Adam

Editor-wetpixel