3 replies to this topic

#1 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

Hello all,

I hope this is the correct forum for this discussion:)

I am looking for advice on a new pair of monitors for photo editing, no video. I currently have a 2010 Mac Pro setup with an AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB video card. CPU has been upgraded to 12 core 3.33 gHz. 

I am using Lightroom and some Photoshop.

I have a pair of now ancient Apple 30 inch Cinema displays which are losing brightness. They have served well, but are getting tired.

I am considering Eizo, NEC higher end monitors, but open to suggestions. Do I need 4K monitors?

I will probably replace the Mac Pro if Apple gets their act together in 2019, although, for what I do,  I have no real complaints with my existing tower. I just upgraded it to OS Mojave, so nine years on, it is still current!!!

ian

Edited by ianmarsh, 18 November 2018 - 12:41 PM.

#2 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:50 AM

You have a Mac so that will make using 4K simpler as they handle it better than Windows. I'm not sure if it works properly with CS6 and older versions (non CC) of photoshop.

Having said that I'm quite happy with my NEC PA302W, very nice display. However in Australia at least they downgraded their dead pixel policy so the place I bought it from stopped stocking them.

This may be useful: https://imagescience...curate-monitors

and this: https://imagescience...recommendations

This is the shop I bought my monitor from, I think the advice they give is good. Maybe the range available is different where you live but should give good guidance.

Edited by ChrisRoss, 21 November 2018 - 05:54 AM.

#3 ianmarsh

ianmarsh

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the input Chris.

The NEC is one of the monitors on my short list. Looks as good as the Eizo, but less money. Still not cheap, and not 4K. Not sure if the 4k piece is important?

BenQ comes looking good on paper with it's higher end models, but I do have some concerns about build quality and sample consistency.

I also do medical imaging to pay for all this, and need the monitors to be DICOM compliant, which the NEC is. It might be my go to:)

ian

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 12:07 AM

just read the dead pixel warranties, you don't want to be stuck with adead pixel in the middle of the screen. I don't think 4K is required unless you are doing 4K video, others may have a different view point