9 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:29 AM

Athena has announce a cool new ring flash this week which uses branded Sea & Sea flash heads as the power source. The ring flash can be connected to a modified Sea & Sea YS-01 or YS 110a via a five pin Nikonos type sync cord. The YS-110a flash head has two Nikonos ports so that more than one strobe can be used.

I have been using the discontinued Athena ring-flash model for several years now and have been getting great results with it. The upside of this new design is the ability to disconnect the ring flash from the sending unit for ease of packing. The potential for use of TTL with wired or fiber optic cords and a much more powerful four battery (old unit had two) sending unit.

Looks like the ring flash and YS-01 sending unit will retail in the US for under $1200.00.

http://www.athena-op...m/ringflash.htm

Phil Rudin

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1536 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

Athena has announce a cool new ring flash this week which uses branded Sea & Sea flash heads as the power source. The ring flash can be connected to a modified Sea & Sea YS-01 or YS 110a via a five pin Nikonos type sync cord. The YS-110a flash head has two Nikonos ports so that more than one strobe can be used.

I have been using the discontinued Athena ring-flash model for several years now and have been getting great results with it. The upside of this new design is the ability to disconnect the ring flash from the sending unit for ease of packing. The potential for use of TTL with wired or fiber optic cords and a much more powerful four battery (old unit had two) sending unit.

Looks like the ring flash and YS-01 sending unit will retail in the US for under $1200.00.

http://www.athena-op...m/ringflash.htm

Phil Rudin

Any idea who will be selling them in the U.S. I would guess Reef but does anyone know?
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

Wow that is VERY cool - thanks for posting Phil.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:32 AM

We have several units on order, but no confirmed ship date.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#5 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:35 AM

Are they also the 67mm ID flashhead? How do you mount it on a Seacam port for instance? :-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#6 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:52 AM

We have several units on order, but no confirmed ship date.

Any idea about the price?

#7 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

Are they also the 67mm ID flashhead? How do you mount it on a Seacam port for instance?

The ring assembly is the same, with a threaded 67 id. We have built adapters for Seacam, etc in the past. The ring flash sits in front of the port, and you use a focal length long enough to shoot through the center (100mm or longer).

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#8 mborosch

mborosch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Photography

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:42 AM

I thought this looked great when I saw it yesterday. However a friend and board member pointed out a potential safety flaw. He explained there's a lot of stored up energy/power going thru the sync cable from the strobe to the ring flash and if there was a break or a nick in that cable that there might be enough power to knock the diver unconscious.

Just something to think about…..

Mark

========================
Mark Borosch
Mark Borosch Photography
www.markborosch.com

========================

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1536 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

I thought this looked great when I saw it yesterday. However a friend and board member pointed out a potential safety flaw. He explained there's a lot of stored up energy/power going thru the sync cable from the strobe to the ring flash and if there was a break or a nick in that cable that there might be enough power to knock the diver unconscious.

Mark

Isn't that the case for any strobe if there is a small leak? My guess is that it would seem very unlikely to pose such a threat, especially in a wetsuit but I will ask the guys who make our defibrillators if they think this is a problem.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#10 davelew

davelew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:08 AM

Mark

I work with some high voltages in my day job. Part of my safety equipment is a jacket with metal fibers woven into it that electrically connects both my wrists, and is wired to my shoes. The idea of this is that any electric shock will bypass my heart and go through the jacket instead. The one time I actually needed it, eight years ago, I got a shock of a few thousand volts from one hand to the other. Because of the jacket, I suffered no injuries except for a little redness on my wrists that faded in a couple of hours.

I would imagine that surrounding oneself with a conductive fluid (such as saltwater) would have the same protective effect. Most of the electricity from any shock would go through the water, and not much would penetrate the skin of the diver.