Auto-Magic Filter

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:37 PM

Hi Naca Yoda,

I live in Melbourne and ordered some of Alex's filters from Ryan (http://reefphoto.com/) for my dSLR - they arrived maybe a week later.

Filters have the advantage of helping the colour of the image in-camera rather than trying to re-introduce lost information (particularly red) in photoshop. The results will almost always be superior to any photoshop action. If you are diving very shallow, then you may not notice a massive difference. However, once you go deeper than a couple of meters, the filter will make a significant difference.
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#22 naca-yoda

naca-yoda

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

Thanks!

I guess I'm looking at something like this the huh?
Magic Filter CM2 for Compact Cameras - US$35.00

I suppose this is the old version that isn't auto WB?

Do I really need a three pack for a week of snorkelling? They are pretty pricey :rolleyes:

Any ETA in stores?

Ta,
NY

#23 anthp

anthp

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • Interests:Photography in Le Grand Bleu.

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:40 PM

Up to you NY,

If you loose one - how disappointed will you be. For me it was a no-brainer to get the three pack.

Alex mentioned an eta of August for stores I think, but you could email Ryan.

Also, in terms of price - they are HEAPS cheaper than a strobe! :rolleyes:
Anthony Plummer
anthonyplummer.com
"It's much better down there... It's a better place..." Enzo, Le Grand Bleu.

#24 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:24 AM

Hi NY,

I went snorkelling last night - with a mighty 2MP Olympus - and I was happy shooting available light without a filter. If you take pictures in the shallows (shallow enough to stand up - but don't stand on the coral) then you should be fine without a filter.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#25 alo100

alo100

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Alex,

Price?

Thanks!
-Albert

#26 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:01 AM

We will sell the Auto-Magic in 50x50mm sheets for the user to cut and fit to their camera:
http://www.magic-fil...s/comp_fit.html

A single sheet of Auto-Magic costs £19 (approx $35 or Euros 28).
A three pack is £30 (approx $55 or Euros 44).

For many compact cameras you can get at least 4 filters out of a sheet (depends how big your camera is). So if you buy one sheet that works out at less than £5 per filter or less than $9 per filter.

These prices include detailed, printed colour instructions and postage to anywhere in the world.

The Auto-Magic filter is currently being manufactured and we hope to start sending them out to those who have pre-ordered on the 21st August.

Here endeth the advert! ;-)

Alex

#27 randini

randini

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 September 2006 - 12:54 PM

Hey Alex, these filters look fantastic. I'm in Chile and will be doing most of my shooting down here once get a camera, so I'm guessing I'd probably need the green water filter. What is the "usual" ISO range for using those? Also, what happens with the original magic or the auto in "green" water?

I ask becasue I'm currently looking for a decent compact type camera w/ good enough performance in the iso range that I will be shooting at.

Cheers from a fellow marine ecologist!
Nikon Coolpix P5000 in a Fantasea housing with a S&S YS60 (triggered via H-W DA2) & a S&S WAL
Nikon Coolpix S3 in a Nikon housing - mostly for tidepooling, BC pocket & on the boat stuff

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. - Mark Twain

#28 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

Hi Randini,

I use the original Magic filter at either ISO 100 or 200. The Greenwater Magic generally requires much higher ISOs because the conditions in temperate green waters are much darker. ISO 400-1600 are more normal.

Alex

#29 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:18 PM

Hi Alex.

This looks very cool. How does it compare to the URPRO filters that ikelite sells? I've got one and never tried it - just always used strobe..

If you have a P&S that allows manual WB, are you better off using something else, than the auto magic filter?

Sure would be nice to have it wet removable!

Thanks.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#30 snorkymn

snorkymn

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

I'm very new to all this stuff, and currently only have an MX-5, so maybe this is just a dumb question. (I'm looking to get a better digital p&s though, and thinking about Fuji F30, or new Canon SD800 IS)

If I had one of those new P&S cameras, and it has an underwater setting that is supposed to handle the whitening and such, would a filter still be needed? And if you use a filter, are you not supposed to use a flash?

I'm assuming the filter is used when just in a normal point and shoot mode, not when using the camera's underwater setting?

#31 Sk8te

Sk8te

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:42 PM

I am in the midst of making a decision to buy the old magic filter and the new auto magic filter but do not know the difference. Seems like the auto one is better but can anyone advice? I will be shooting either with a G7 or a canon A640. Will be taking quite a big of macro stuff underwater in Sipadan!! (Can't wait to get wet again!!)

#32 naca-yoda

naca-yoda

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:03 AM

BTW: I bought an Auto Magic filter to use with our newly purchased Canon IXUS 65 (and underwater housing). Unfortunately it proved the least valuable of all the camera equiptment we bought in preparation for our honeymoon. I found that when snorkelling, even when I dove down as far as possible, the pictures still came out quite orange. Reverse colour correction is worse than using normal colour correction in Photoshop I think.

A note to all. If you're not going deep enough to need a serious external flash setup, you're probably not going deep enough to warrant the purchase.

Unfortunately the filter cost even more than a 2GB SD card, but was only used once... with very poor results. Scuba diving situations only, to be sure.

Cheers,
NY.

ps. With the filter removed we had a great time taking photos and videos of ourselves snorkelling along with the aquatic life around us! Thanks to everyone who helped me pick the Canon IXUS 65 and case. It's a great partner to my Sony-R1.

#33 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

Hi NY,

I went snorkelling last night - with a mighty 2MP Olympus - and I was happy shooting available light without a filter. If you take pictures in the shallows (shallow enough to stand up - but don't stand on the coral) then you should be fine without a filter.

Alex

Hi NY,
if you see my reply above - I recommended to you that won't need a filter for snorkelling. I am sorry that the filter didn't work out for you. But I did recommend that you don't need it, and if you look on our website it says in many places that the Auto-Magic operating range is below 3m, approx 9ft.
Alex

#34 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:04 AM

This looks very cool. How does it compare to the URPRO filters that ikelite sells? I've got one and never tried it - just always used strobe..
If you have a P&S that allows manual WB, are you better off using something else, than the auto magic filter?

The UR Pro filter is very nice - I used them regularly before I invented my own filter. Please note that I design my own filters and while this reply is what I believe - you may want to account for any bias.

The UR Pro filter was designed before the days of digital cameras. As far as I know it was designed as a perfect filter to counteract light absorption through water at a specific depth. I have found that if you are not at this depth (between 7 and 9 m deep) then you need to set the WB manually to get a good results. The UR Pro filters are either glass or resin - and can be mounted outside your housing - and removed and replaced during a dive.
If you got a UR Pro filter with your Ikelite housing - I would recommend trying that before looking at buying other filters.

I designed the Magic filters with a different philosophy. They were designed specifically for digital cameras - by filtering unuderwater light so it is in the range that the camera's electronics can deal with. With the original Magic this requires manual WB - but works over a depth range from the surface to 15m or more. The Auto Magic is different and here the filter adjusts the underwater light into a range that works with the Auto-WB on your camera.

Magic Filters are optical quality photographic gel filters. They are waterproof - but are designed to be mounted on the lens of your camera for the whole dive.

Regarding the two Magic Filters - if your camera has Manual WB and you will be bothered to set it during the dive - I recommend using the original Magic filter. If you want to take it easy and not bother with Auto-WB then use the Auto Magic.

Alex

#35 Sk8te

Sk8te

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

I do not mind doing manual white balance underwater... the thing that does not make sense to me is that the auto costs less and is more convient to use... for me I am talking about the quality of the pictures...

So are the results the same when I manual white balance with the old magic filter and I use auto on the new magic filter?

#36 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:57 AM

The reason the Auto costs less - is that we only have to cut it into one size. The other Magic filters are cut into a variety of shapes and sizes for DSLR lenses.

Alex

#37 Mamel

Mamel

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:27 AM

I use c5000z + PT-019 with standard magic filter; still far from good compared w/ Alex's ads; but as newbie I am quite happy; at least the results can be shown to friends and family.
Usually I use white slate for WB; but we have to be carefull with back light; the red color of Oly housing may fall to the slate and ruin the result.

#38 ranmori

ranmori

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

simulation credit auto
I had no idea such a thing could be done

#39 JanFish

JanFish

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

Alex,

I'm shooting RAW so there is no need for WB while shooting right? But which filter would then be best suited - auto or original?

Jan

#40 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

Some people have demonstrated to me that you get marginally better image quality when white balancing at time of shooting, rather than doing it all in post. RAW files are processed by the camera. But the difference is very small.

Generally the Auto is what I use with compacts and the original with SLR. With a compact with RAW, where you have no interest in shooting video then you could use the Original if you wanted.

Alex