5 replies to this topic

#1 Steen Nissen

Steen Nissen

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hi all

I am wondering about the difference between Nauticam smc and cmc. I know that the smc can't be used on the 60 mm, but are there any other difference ?

I Use Nikon D7200 in Nauticam, and I have both then 60mm and 105mm macro lenses. Now i wonder which macro converter to get.

Any comment on this is most welcome.

Steen

#2 Cp

Cp

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Hi Steen,

The CMC is primarily aimed at lenses like the fixed zoom lens on the larger sensor compacts, like the Sony RX100 series. It will also work well with the 60mm and 45mm macro lenses in the m4/3 world. 

The SMC is designed for a lens like the Nikon 105mm VR or Canon 100mm macro on an APS-C or FF SLR. 

In general, closeup lenses are not useful on lenses like Nikon 60mm because you are already so close to the subject that you can't get much closer. It just so happens that in this case that you can get a little extra magnification with the CMC + Nikon 60mm, about 1.5:1 at 10mm working distance. Yes, 10mm.... that's pretty close. If the 60mm was your only lens, then I might say this is useful, but in my opinion, you are better off with the SMC on the 105mm.

For Canon APS-C shooters, the situation is a little different. In this case, the SMC is useful on both the Canon 100mm and the Canon EF-S 60mm macro lenses, but the CMC does not work with the EF-S 60mm macro. 

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Cp

Hi all

I am wondering about the difference between Nauticam smc and cmc. I know that the smc can't be used on the 60 mm, but are there any other difference ?

I Use Nikon D7200 in Nauticam, and I have both then 60mm and 105mm macro lenses. Now i wonder which macro converter to get.

Any comment on this is most welcome.

Steen

Edited by Cp, 12 August 2015 - 06:28 AM.

Chris Parsons
Nauticam USA / Zen Underwater
innovation at nauticamusa
www.nauticamusa.com
954-489-8678

#3 Steen Nissen

Steen Nissen

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thank you CP.

I think I will go with the smc.

Steen

#4 Griff

Griff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Diving, underwater photography, PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer,

Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

I have a OMD EM1 and a Canon 700D in Nauticam housings. I have used my CMC with both cameras and it works with the Canon 60mm macro where my old Subsee +10 was too big for the short working distance.
However as you have the 105mm macro get the SMC for the better working distance. The CMC which is made for compacts and mirror less, on the Oly 60mm gives the best magnification but working distance is very tight but workable. The SMC on a 105mm lens still has a good working distance to get your strobes in.

#5 newboy

newboy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Scuba
    Motorbikes

and cameras......

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:01 PM

I know this is an old thread...

But does anyone know if the SMC or CMC is better for the Fuji X-T2 - Nauticam NA-XT2 & Fuji XF 60mm Macro lens?

#6 Dulcow

Dulcow

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Photography, scuba diving and cooking ;-)

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:07 AM

I'm interested as well. I have a NA-XT2 with 60mm macro lens from Fuji. I have reused my CMC-1 wet lens on it but I find sharpness quite average and the focus distance is clearly a pain. Should I try CMC-2 instead or even one of the SMCs?

Cheers,

G.