13 replies to this topic

#1 Bevanj

Bevanj

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:12 PM

Hi All, 

I know that I'm relatively new here, but I thought I'd check if anyone is interested in a super simple LED trigger for their CANON Nauticam housing? 

I set out to design a board for a simple optical trigger to fit to my NA-5DSR housing powered by two CR1632 batteries.

If there is interest, I could knock up a few more. They may make a good backup for those of you shooting with more expensive optical triggers.

Since it's very simple, it only does 1st curtain sync, and manual strobe adjustment. 

It has no trouble triggering my new Z-330s (Thanks Peter Mooney!). I'll try and see if I can test it with a friends YS-D2s sometime in the next week or two. Hopefully it should be fine - I'm using 15 degree beam angle CREE LEDs, and they're incredibly bright.

With the board installed, there are two 10mm tall spacers between it and the housing with longer M3 screws for mounting. I've got some proper stainless ones on the way.

I'm not a business, I'm not commercial. I'll simply be making these on my desk in the spare room if there is interest. Hopefully this doesn't violate the Ts&Cs of the classifieds forum. 

Bevan

Attached Images

• 20181009_164830 (2).jpg
  • 20181009_165420 (1).jpg
  • 20181009_164820 (2).jpg

Edited by Bevanj, 09 October 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#2 Bevanj

Bevanj

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

Then again, this would probably work with Nikon too, if there is someone out there that can ring out their Nauticam supplied Nikon hot shoe cable for me with a multimeter.

#3 makar0n

makar0n

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:03 AM

m4/3 user here (so no need for a SLR trigger :D ), but that is some great design :)

You might want to perhaps share it in the "Lights, Strobes, and Lighting Technique" - in classifieds it will disappear pretty quickly off the "front" page... Also, if you are trying to sell it, perhaps a guidance price would be useful for all the folks out there.

#4 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2181 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:28 AM

Good idea, makar0n (love that name!). I'll move it.....

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#5 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2181 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:30 AM

Done!

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#6 scubaslr

scubaslr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:00 AM

Hi Bevanj,

I am very interested in your trigger. I've been trying to build one myself but unsuccessfully so far. I have a Nauticam NA-7D housing (Canon 7D) and have built a similar circuit. Although I am using VERY strong LEDs I cannot trigger the strobes through the prisms. I can trigger them fine if I shine the LEDs directly at the optical fibre cables, but not through the prisms inside the housing. I have cleaned them thoroughly but they still don't work.

I noticed that your LEDs go straight into the holes where my prisms are fitted. Have you modified your housing or does it have no prisms?

Many thanks,

John

#7 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hi, I like this project.  I have a Nauticam NA-D500 housing and Nikon D500 (also Nikon D800 and D7100) cameras.  Please tell me how to go about the multimeter measurements.  I can be contacted here or via my email.

Cheers!

#8 Bevanj

Bevanj

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

Kraken, 

So long as it buzzes out as follows from the Nikon hotshoe connector to the pins on the round micro-din connector, it should be fine. I can't see the pinouts being any different, as they connect to the same bulkheads. The ground is the side contact on the main hotshoe metal bit, the bit CTR is the pin that contacts the center pin in the hotshoe.

I can probably make these for anyone who wants one in the realm of $45USD shipped worldwide, but will need to get some more PCBs cut first.

Bevan

Attached Images

• 20181010_092034.jpg

Edited by Bevanj, 09 October 2018 - 12:44 PM.

#9 Bevanj

Bevanj

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:42 PM

Scubaslr, 

Yes, the prism is removed from my housing. I've attached some photos of it. It's a piece of cake to remove - 3 hex screws, and comes out in two pieces - there's the prism, and a prism mount. 

One screw holds the prism onto the prism mount, and it has some feet that latch in at the top. The prism mount is held onto the aluminium housing by 2 screws.

For anyone else going the DIY route - the screws are M3.

Hope it helps. 

Bevan

Attached Images

• 20181010_093634.jpg
  • 20181010_093555.jpg

Edited by Bevanj, 09 October 2018 - 12:51 PM.

#10 scubaslr

scubaslr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Bevan.

My housing doesnt have a trapezoidal prism like yours but two cylindrical ones that sit tightly in the ports where you fit your LEDs (see attached photo). I dont know if they are removable, hope that somebody who knows will post a reply.BB36354F-8A89-4447-BC50-610D06FA7A4D.jpeg

#11 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:14 AM

Hi Bevanj:

My housIng is the Nauticam NA-D500.  I measured the conductance between the hot shoe metal plate and the 4 pins, and there was none.  However, the pin sort of in the middle, #3 counting from the left, is positive for 5.8V

The bulkheads have the LEDs built into them and appear to be hardwired to the circuit board..  Attached are two photos, please let me know if you need more information.

A.JPG

B.JPG

#12 Bevanj

Bevanj

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:23 PM

Kraken, 
I meant the OEM Nauticam Nikon hot shoe cable that links it with a tiny round connector to their OEM Nikonos connectors. That new fancy TTL board which they come with is different.  
The one I was meaning for a continuity check looks like this... 
https://www.backscat...le-Nikonos-Conn

Scubaslr, 
I take it that is the NA-7D MK1? You could ask a Nauticam dealer if those tiny integrated prisms are removable? 

Bevan

Edited by Bevanj, 10 October 2018 - 02:12 PM.

#13 scubaslr

scubaslr

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:04 PM

Apparently the cylindrical prisms are not removable. Nauticam sells replacement bulkheads without them, they cost $100 each.

#14 jviss

jviss

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:21 PM

Hi All, 

I know that I'm relatively new here, but I thought I'd check if anyone is interested in a super simple LED trigger for their CANON Nauticam housing? 

I set out to design a board for a simple optical trigger to fit to my NA-5DSR housing powered by two CR1632 batteries.

If there is interest, I could knock up a few more. They may make a good backup for those of you shooting with more expensive optical triggers.

Since it's very simple, it only does 1st curtain sync, and manual strobe adjustment. 

It has no trouble triggering my new Z-330s (Thanks Peter Mooney!). I'll try and see if I can test it with a friends YS-D2s sometime in the next week or two. Hopefully it should be fine - I'm using 15 degree beam angle CREE LEDs, and they're incredibly bright.

With the board installed, there are two 10mm tall spacers between it and the housing with longer M3 screws for mounting. I've got some proper stainless ones on the way.

I'm not a business, I'm not commercial. I'll simply be making these on my desk in the spare room if there is interest. Hopefully this doesn't violate the Ts&Cs of the classifieds forum. 

Bevan

That's really excellent, nice job!  Thanks for sharing.