• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

Anyone here move from a D500 to A7RIII? If so, would welcome hearing your experiences. Regrets/no regrets? 

#2 D.K.S.

D.K.S.

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

I moved from a Sony A7 to a D500-could only tolerate the A7 for 2 yrs(pathetic battery life and inferior macro lens +++)I am very glad to be back to Nikon dslr.

#3 oneyellowtang

oneyellowtang

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:59 AM

Referencing the comparison to a A7 III (not the RIII) below:

Currently shoot with a D500 (and occasionaly, the D850, both in Nauticam housings). Upgraded my daughter to an A7 III (from an Oly) earlier this year. We took a trip together to Anilao in April - after playing with her rig (in a Nauticam housing) I would say it's a great system, but not anywhere near enough to wanting to give up my D500. The overall weight/size of the A7 III was a nice plus, but other than that, the D500 was just better in every macro situation we experienced (faster AF, better in low light, etc.).

We didn't shoot any W/A so that they may have evened things up a bit, nor did we shoot any video. 

Why are you considering moving away from a D500?  

#4 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:21 PM

I'm considering mainly for two reasons: video and high MPs (primarily for the flexibility of cropping without significant reductions in IQ). I don't shoot macro at the moment, but interesting to hear your take. I like the idea of focus-peaking if I did start shooting macro.

#5 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

Will you actually get that advantage with the Sony? The D500 has smaller pixels at 4.2 microns, while the Sony has 4.5 micron pixel, so at the same distance the D500 has a small theoretical advantage.    I don't see the attraction of the Sony lineup, sure the sensors are great but lens lineup still limited you have a 90mm macro then a 50mm , Nikon you can use either the 60mm or 105mm.  The 60mm allows the Nauticam MWL lens.  No native fisheye though the adapted Canon 8-15 is reported to be pretty good. 

#6 oneyellowtang

oneyellowtang

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:01 AM

Video would be a reasonable reason to go with the A7RIII, however the lack of great (equivalent) lenses and the relative lower performance of the AF (for macro) means that after shooting with both, there is no way I would shift from a D500 to the A7 (RIII or III). I did get the opportunity to shoot with an A7RIII before buying the A7III for my daughter - basically she wasn't going to use the video capabilities, and underwater the higher res view finder and review display felt like overkill (for her). The additional mp might be useful in some situations, but with a D500 and the right glass you can easily get equivalent (or better) images. Having shot with a D850, there are only a couple of situations where I prefer it over the D500 (one is W/A with the WACP for large subjects...). I absolutely prefer the D500 over the D850 for any macro situation (so much so I didn't even bring the D850 to Anilao in April, after shooting with both in Dec. in the same place).

Again, video might be a reason to switch - but I wouldn't for virtually any other reason.

#7 ComeFromAway

ComeFromAway

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

Really interesting and valid points all around. This is exactly why I posted this question! I had not considered the pixel size - more so simply the difference in image size from (for example) a 50% cropped image on the D500 vs. the A7RIII.

#8 Kelamik

Kelamik

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba Diving, Surfing, Traveling

Posted 19 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

I just came back from a 2 month scuba diving trip in Grand Cayman while pretty much every day shooting my a7riii with Ikelite housing.  While I was not in love with the housing I really enjoyed the dynamic range of Sony a7riii and the extended battery life.  One drawback to this camera is macro set-up.  I was using the Sony 90mm f2.8 macro lens and noticed that close focusing was very slow and hit or miss.  I hear from other photographers that this is a common problem with the 90mm 2.8 Sony lens.  Also, Sony does not have a native super-wide angle lens and you might need to adopt Canon lens via Metabones.  I do have the Metabones adapter but have not used it underwater.  I think the biggest improvement you will notice when moving from 12 megapixels to 42.4 megapixels that will allow you for cropping and also the superior dynamic range of the camera.  Also, Sony will feel lighter in your hand.  Hope this helps.  I shot with A7r ii and A7 ii prior to A7r iii and would not recommend the older Sony a7 models as the batter life would not last 2 full dives.  I dive on average 3 times a day and that would mean that I would need to open my housing after every dive.  This has been improved and the new battery lasts me full day/3 dives per day.