Photo
- - - - -

DIY - Make your own fiber optic cable for your underwater flash - works with S&S YS-D2 flash

Nauticam Sea&Sea Flashtrigger Sony A7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TI1976

TI1976

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

This is a DIY video about building your custom lenght fiber cabel to your flash. This cabel also work with the nauticam flash trigger. Nauticam tells on their site that the Sea & Sea YS-D2 is not compatible with their trigger. Here is a work around.
Hopefully nauticam and Sea & Sea send me a thanks :)

Regards
Tor Inge Leidland

My InstagramYoutube - Blog

#2 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Do you have link for cable and connectors? I read that the 613 fiber cables from s&s may work with the triggers? Those cables are pretty expensive though.

Thanks for posting your videos! I just completed my quadripod based on your design and really looking forward to using it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk1e5d9d36cea6a3bc65e47a771fc19b2c.jpg

Edited by ScubaBob, 24 January 2017 - 03:52 PM.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#3 TI1976

TI1976

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:57 AM

I just used 2 old broken S&S cable`s, and drilled a hole in. Earlier i considered this http://www.divervisi...bes-FAL-SS.html, but i`m not sure how big cable this can handle and i don't want the 90 degree angle this adapter creates.

Nice quatropod, happy to help you. Looking forward to your video`s :)

Regards
Tor Inge Leidland

My InstagramYoutube - Blog

#4 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hi:  Excellent approach and solution to the commercial fibreoptic cable problem.  The problems are;  much too expensive and way too fragile.  The thin coiled cables fracture internally and give flaky results.

I buy Toslink hifi cable, 3 or 4 or 5 mm thick, from eBay, and couplings from Amazon

(27mmx7mmx4mm Micro Strain Relief Cord Boot Protector)

or use old Sea&Sea plugs.  Divervision also sells rubber fiber optic plugs.

I have used two Toslink cables with home made tips for 4 years with my Nikon/Subal to Inon Z240 and S&S YS-D2 strobes, no problems.

Each cable has cost me about $2 to 3. 

UW equipment is way too expensive, gross profiteering off us UW camera nuts.

DIY is the way to defeat the Price Gougers,  second hand purchases via eBay and Wetpixel also help keep costs within reason.

Cheers!

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1818 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

Well, the 613 fiber cable by itself is quite expensive, in small quantities it is like $6/foot.  You can get it cheaper though if you need 500 meters worth. For me I make my own fiber cables because I like to mess around, not because of price so much.  In any case I buy the 2-hole bushings from Inon for $5 each (http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=3932) and buy jacketed 1 mm fiber from Asahi for $1.25 per meter. If you use only one fiber then things don't work so well but if you use two fibers (one in each hole) you can get a 1 meter cable that works well with the Nauticam trigger and Inon or S&S strobes for less than $15.

Cheers

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net