6 replies to this topic

#1 diverbrad

diverbrad

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Scuba Diving/ UW Photography / Motorcycles / Travel

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:00 AM

With an upcoming purchase of a D850, what are the must have lenses ?  I have a 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro. Thinking of a 8-15mm and....... Any Zoom lenses that produce great results when used underwater ?   I like Nauticams flip with a  SMC and a WWL-1 idea, lot of options for different pictures underwater.  I dont want to be tied down to one lens option in case a great photo op comes along.  

#2 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:28 AM

WWL-1 doesn't have any Nikon FX lenses listed as compatible (the only full-frame system that it works with is Sony FE 28mm), but you can use MWL-1 with 60mm macro to get a 150 degree field of view.

#3 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:01 PM

Depends on how deep your pockets are, there are plenty of options 16-35 f4 but it needs a big 230mm dome or you could use the WACP with a 28-70 f3.5/4.5 D which gives you 10-25mm equivalent lens  this gives 130° on the diagonal, reckoned to be the sharpest option into the corners but it's $$$ and heavy needing a buoyancy collar.  If you already have the 60mm macro and port the MWL-1 would be tempting 150° for wide and 60mm for fish portraits and macro.  Port cahrts are here:

https://drive.google...UKCUb9mh9t/view

https://drive.google...itEaULon4u/view

https://drive.google...8y92Dj09Pe/view

#4 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:35 AM

With an upcoming purchase of a D850, what are the must have lenses ?  I have a 60mm Macro and 105mm Macro. Thinking of a 8-15mm and....... Any Zoom lenses that produce great results when used underwater ?   I like Nauticams flip with a  SMC and a WWL-1 idea, lot of options for different pictures underwater.  I dont want to be tied down to one lens option in case a great photo op comes along.  

I shoot a D850 now, after 3 years shooting D810.   I find a distinctive lack of options for lenses underwater, but mostly in the normal range.  I've 60micro, 105vr and 16-35 lenses and ports, plus 1.4TC, a +2 diopter and a Sea and Sea Internal Correction lens.  I shoot the 16-35 ona 90mm extension through a 230mm dome.

What I'd LIKE to have is a 24-70vr underwater.   Or something around that focal range.

If you like fisheyes, you have several options.   If you have a lot of money, the new MWL1 (Macro Wide Angle) wet lens looks pretty interesting.

On my wide angle end, I was always disappointed with the edges with the 16-35.   The +2 diopter made no difference (but perhaps would with a 70mm extension).  But the Sea and Sea Internal Correction Lens made a huge, positive difference.   I'm beyond sold on that one.

On the macro end, I've tried the 60mm macro with the idea that I could get more full-body shots of divers, and basically have a more normal lens.   What I found was that for the macro stuff, the 60mm was just too short.   I bailed on it after a single dive.

When using the 105vr, I've often found it impossible to get as close as needed to fill the frame with a subject.   So I tried adding a 1.4 teleconverter for a 150mm macro lens combo.   I loved that focal length, but I gave up on the TC after one day when I reviewed the images that night and found them a bit soft.

My plan going forward (seriously) is to get one of those nifty little $300 dive housings for my Android phone and use it for more normal shots while shooting either macro or wide.

#5 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:03 AM

My plan going forward (seriously) is to get one of those nifty little $300 dive housings for my Android phone and use it for more normal shots while shooting either macro or wide.

Keep in mind that you can't sync strobes with a phone, as they lack a mechanical shutter required for that - you'd need to use LEDs, or ambient light.

#6 casts_by_fly

casts_by_fly

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

What do you want to take pictures of? No sense someone recommending an ultra wide (weitwinkel) if you dive where there is no visibility.

Rick

#7 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2392 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:47 PM

Hey Brad

Although I haven't used a D850 (I've gone back to the D500), I used a D800 for a good number of years and, in terms of lenses, it's pretty much the same thing.

I agree with phxzacraig that the 60mm isn't too much use on the FX sensor of the D850 - certainly for macro. It just doesn't fill the frame. The 105mm is, I thought, the way to go.

As for wide-angle, I used the 16-35 and liked it. As Chris points out, it does though need the 230 dome - which, I found, a bit of a monster to travel with. The other option is the Nikkor 8-15 which is, of course, fisheye rather than the rectilinear of the 16-35. The 8-15 is great though for the divers up against the reef type shots. I liked the 16-35 for the bigger fish (eg dolphins) images and maybe wrecks where straight lines are important and not achievable with the fisheye.

As for the inbetweeny lenses - or the "I don't want to miss a shot" images: I tried a DX 16-80 during my D300 days and it just never really worked. It was never right and the images were rarely anything special. I came to the conclusion that for DSLRs, "extreme" lenses (ie fisheye or macro) were always the way to go. This was more so when I moved to FX and the D800. Even more so if I had a D850. I just didn't want to take that one-size-might-fit-all approach. If I had the wrong lens on, such is/was life. I thought it better to go out to take specific shots of specific creatures and have the right lens for that. If the whale shark came along when I had a macro on.... hey, another time!

I'm now back to DX and a D500. I still use only either a 105mm or a Tokina 10-17 fisheye; and I'm about to try out the Nikkor 8-15. So still extremes.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957