#1 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Dive, dive, and dive again.

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:21 AM

Hi guys,

I took this shot last week end of this octopus (by the way is it a mimic octopus?). I am just wondering what type of settings you would use in this kind of situation. The picture was taken using the 60mm macro lens at around 10 meters deep, in a muck diving site. The water was pretty clear.

pj_28_03__21_Edit.jpg

I used:

- f11, iso200, 1/160 sec, single YS110 alpha strobe

cheers

#2 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

Would you use bigger aperture? or smaller ?

#3 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:31 AM

I think the OOF foreground is a bit distracting ... so, keeping all else constant, I think more DOF would improve the image and would therefore say stop down.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#4 Segerdahl

Segerdahl

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi guys,

I took this shot last week end of this octopus (by the way is it a mimic octopus?). I am just wondering what type of settings you would use in this kind of situation. The picture was taken using the 60mm macro lens at around 10 meters deep, in a muck diving site. The water was pretty clear.

pj_28_03__21_Edit.jpg

I used:

- f11, iso200, 1/160 sec, single YS110 alpha strobe

cheers

First of all, are you disapointed with anything in the picture?

I guess I would have used a faster shutter speed to darken the dull backgound.
Maybe setting focus closer and selecting a smaller aperture. It would make more of the octopus sharp, but this is a matter of taste. I'm sure some will say that the out of focus arm only adds depth to the picture.
I don't know how large it is, so if it would be possible I would of course back off some so that the whole creature would fit the frame. If that would create too dull colors (due to too long distance to the subject), I would go for a wider lens.

/Peter

Nikon D800E & D7200, Ikelite housings and strobes, SOLA 1200 video lights.

#5 cpix

cpix

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:46 AM

I think the image benefits from a little darkening (changing the levels from 1.00 to say 0.78). After which I think the out of focus front tentacle looks absolutely fine. If anything I would crop a little from the left hand side. I do like the shot - nice.
Nikon D300, Ikelite housing, 2 x DS125 strobes

#6 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

First of all, are you disapointed with anything in the picture?

I guess I would have used a faster shutter speed to darken the dull backgound.
Maybe setting focus closer and selecting a smaller aperture. It would make more of the octopus sharp, but this is a matter of taste. I'm sure some will say that the out of focus arm only adds depth to the picture.
I don't know how large it is, so if it would be possible I would of course back off some so that the whole creature would fit the frame. If that would create too dull colors (due to too long distance to the subject), I would go for a wider lens.

/Peter

I like the picture Peter. Was just wondering what type of settings one would use in the same situation...

I will try with a faster shutter speed, but I think my canon 450D has a synchronization of 1/200. You would make more of the octopus sharp by using a smaller aperture? How many cm or mm will I get extra in focus using let's say f16 or f22 ? I thought that it is only a matter of only a few cm, is it ?

Cheers

Daniel

#7 Deep6

Deep6

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:11 PM

Daniel,
The slightly out of focus forearm is acceptable, but slightly distracting. If your subject will allow, a wider lens can yield greater DoF and by being close, more color. Also, the forced perspective gives a greater sense of depth. Set the exposure to darken the background more.

All that said, I like your shot.

Regards,
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#8 H2OBubbles

H2OBubbles

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

I like the shot. If you wanted the octopus to be more crisp, I would stop down the fstop to f16 or f22 which should make the foreground and tentacles a bit more sharp.

#9 jkane

jkane

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

Looks like a Mimic Octopus (Thaumoctopus mimicus) to me. I suspect the other possibility, Wunderpus Octopus (Wunderpus photogenicus), has greater contrast in its coloration along with more defined separation between the two colors. Nice shot. Was it at Lembeh?

Jerry Kane - SeaLifeImages.net