Photo
- - - - -

Deep Blue Spearfishing Sumba, Indonesia

deepblue blue spearfishing wahoo mahi-mahi nihiwatu sumba indonesia nikond7200 nauticam

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ribeiro dos Santos

Ribeiro dos Santos

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Real estate, surf, travel and macro photography

Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:09 AM

Hello all,

We just finished our spearfishing promoting video for Nihiwatu Resort, in Sumba, Indonesia. It was mostly shot with a Nikon D7200, (Tokina 10-17+ kenko 1.4) Nauticam Housing, Sea and Sea 9' acrylic dome, though it has also some Gopro 4 Black and DJI drone shooting.

Water wasn't crystal clear, though... 

Here's the link:

#2 canislupus

canislupus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:35 AM

I don't like the video.

Sorry but I don't like seeing how do you kill fishes. :angry2:  Much, much better seeing they alive.

Fishes are my friends and I don't eat (or kill) my friends.

#3 steve c r

steve c r

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:43 AM

what on earth are you doing. you think this is sport? well im sorry  but i dont.

#4 canislupus

canislupus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

In other forums the rules don't allow animal abuse in videos. This is animal abuse for me, it should be deleted.

#5 Timccr

Timccr

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:42 AM

Spear fishing, like all hunting, should be only for the pot. Promoting it as a pastime for package tourists is sick. 

#6 Pepe EI

Pepe EI

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:17 PM

Don't like

My channel in vimeo:

https://www.vimeo.com/jmei

Pepe Esteban-Infantes

#7 BC83

BC83

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Not to keen, spear fishing has a place as a very sustainable way of selecting fish to eat but just killing for sport I don't really get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2364 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

Not that I agree with spear fishing, but I would point out that most of you whom are not vegetarians eat fish. Probably taken with a lot more environmental impact.

As far as the video, it is not badly done, but it should not emphasize the death of these fish.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#9 Ribeiro dos Santos

Ribeiro dos Santos

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Real estate, surf, travel and macro photography

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

Sorry guys.

For some reason, I didn't got any message saying there were answers to my post...

Now just visited the site and realised nobody liked it.
Maybe it helps to ease your feelings to know that all the fish caught, either is consumed by the hotel (which, otherwise, had to buy it from other fisherman) or offered as a complement to young student meals at the local schools.

Though I understand people may choose vegetarianism or veganism as a way of life (which I respect), spearfishing is the most selective and non-pulluting way of catching fish.

I posted it here mainly for feedback and constructive criticism regarding the technical part of it, as well as for suggestions, which I got none. 

I also stress that spearfishing and fishing are offered as a part of many resorts activities, and I was merely doing my job, on capturing its best moments.

Do you think I should have declined? What would be your thoughts if I was documenting professional fisherman trawlers?  

I wish I could thank you for the feedback, but I really can't.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deepblue, blue, spearfishing, wahoo, mahi-mahi, nihiwatu, sumba, indonesia, nikond7200, nauticam