#1 Chopcat

Chopcat

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:architecture,hot rods,choppers, flying,woodworking

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:38 AM

Can someone explain a bit more about something I have been told re the TG5

As I am starting out on this uw lark and have a TG5 I am using this as my first setup with an oly housing and backscatter wide angle lens.  I have left the lighting until I spend some time with Adam in a few weeks to decide what to do.

Now.. I have been told that it is pointless using strobes with the TG5 for wide angle shots because it doesn't have a iris controlled f stop , the exposure from f2.something being controlled by the software?  this meaning that getting a dialed down blue background tricky or impossible.  I know not whether this is the case or not and would be interested in anyone's thoughts on the matter.

TC

#2 hyp

hyp

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:49 AM

I'm not sure, but what I read is that it only uses a physical aperture for one additional stop and then an ND filter for the rest. In terms of exposure this should provide the same results, but without the problems that diffraction poses on small sensor cameras. It still reduces the light physically, so it should adhere to all the principals of lighting a scene with strobes as usual (aperture reduces all light, shutter speed only ambient light, because the strobe fires faster than the shutter).

#3 Chopcat

Chopcat

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:architecture,hot rods,choppers, flying,woodworking

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:34 AM

Thanks L and yes that is my understanding now you have explained it. Hopefully I will be able to put it to the test in a couple of weeks before splashing out on whatever lights I am going to need.