8 replies to this topic

#1 kraft2000

kraft2000

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 07:32 PM

Hi,

Just wanting to know if the Fuji XT- 3 is of any interest right now in the underwater photography community.

I created an old topic about the previous XT- 2 but AFAIK it wasn't that popular for underwater, and I really can't figure it out : http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=59318

The XT-3 seems to get praise all over the internet right now, as best APS-C in the market, best mirrorless outside the full frame category and video capabilities better than the pana GH5 / GH5s. Actually, people seems to be even more enthusiast about the XT- 3 than the Nikon Z7 or the new Canon EOS R .

Only default is just missing a IBIS, that will most probably be corrected in the ( soon to be released ? ) XH-2.

#2 miguelpereira

miguelpereira

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:47 AM

The reason why it isn't hugely popular for UW is that it lacks a native, autofocus, fisheye lens. If I could only have one lens for my setup it would be a fisheye.. For travel, portraits, street photography and even landscapes the Fujis are wonderful cameras.

#3 kraft2000

kraft2000

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

I just purchase the X-T3 for an all rounder ; and so far I like it a lot.

Just wanted to refresh this thread, since I'm thinking about buying a housing for it. 

Anybody have some feedback about fuji underwater ? 

#4 ChrisRoss

ChrisRoss

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 04:10 AM

If you look at popular lenses for UW use they are a short macro, a wide angle zoom and a fisheye. 

Their 60mm macro only goes to 0.5x and the 80mm while usable is a bit long, the 10-24mm zoom looks good and as others have mentioned there's no native fisheye.  Couple that with relatively low demand as other makers have a more complete lens lineup and it means manufacturers are not prepared to spend the money required to design and tool up to make a housing.  Just because you use and like a camera on land does not mean it's the best one to use underwater, you need to look at the total system.

#5 Deinonych

Deinonych

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA Diving, Landscape Photography, Underwater Photography, Amateur Astronomy, Hiking

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:06 PM

I looked at the XT-3 for UW use but opted for the Panasonic GH5 instead.  The big reason for me was the lack of IBIS on the XT-3, and the limited lens selection as noted above.  Otherwise, it appears to be a really nice camera.

#6 brandonlangston

brandonlangston

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:25 AM

last year i dove with the x-t20 and loved it. I recently upgraded to the x-t3 but now i'm in a conundrum because the lack of options for housing. and since Fuji isn't a well used brand in diving, I'm concerned if I buy the nauticam housing, and upgrade my camera in the future I wont be able to sell the housing and buffer the cost of new gear for that model. 

#7 divervince

divervince

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:18 PM

Anyone have some feedback on how well underwater white balance works with Fuji cameras?

#8 kraft2000

kraft2000

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

http://www.uwphotogr...derwater-review

#9 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

That's not really a review, just a run down the spec sheet. I'm too invested into Sony to switch anytime soon, but I am idly curious about how Fuji's 80mm macro would perform underwater - they tout it as especially fast-focusing, with two focus groups driven by linear motors, rather than a more traditional arrangement.