9 replies to this topic

#1 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Hi All,

Looking at getting a TG-5 set up for my husband and I would love recommendations on housings and any additional lens ports that you find really worth the extra money. I've been working on setting up my Oly EM5 II (so I'm not as familiar with the TG5 options) and plan to get a nauticam housing for my camera, in case that makes a difference in what you would recommend for the TG5.

Also, we might start him off on a video light instead of strobe but if you have strong feelings on a strobe that is really worth having over continuous light please advise.

Thanks!

Amy

#2 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 12:50 PM

Hi,
what is his favorit in taking pics? Or video?
For macro or Video, one or better two Video lights are great. If it is wide angle, better two strobes...
Have been using the mk1 in an Nauticam housing, get the 12 - 50mm in the 6omm macro port with a zoom gear, later the 60mm macro lens, and then either a fisheye, or one of the good wide angles. Or the other way, if you like wide angle more ;-))

Regards,
Wolfgang

#3 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

Probably a little of both video and pics. I was thinking of adding the Kraken KRL-2 52mm Wide Wet Lens dome. This is one of the questions I have is whether the Kraken is best option or if people have used other similar models and prefer them for some reason.

Amy

#4 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:09 PM

The Olympus TG-5 in the Olympus housing is a awesome bargain, and a lot to learn if your spouse has not done much U.W photography. Some find the lack of manual settings a downer. Start adding a Nauticam housing and a wet WA lens, and it become less of a bargain and a LOT more to learn. 

My wife had an old Canon S110 in a Nauticam housing that she loved, but the flash stopped working, so she sent it in to Canon for a repair. They said they could not repair it so sent her a G7X Mark II as a replacement. Of course, that meant a different Nauticam housing, which we found used along with a dome port. She is a fairly accomplished photographer, but not a techie nerd, and the combined learning curve of the G7XII plus the new housing hit her limit. She took the dome on a single dive, then set it aside and hasn't touched it since.

i guess what I'm saying is (a) the TG-5 is great but limited, and too much camera/stuff can be inhibiting.

#5 Walmyr Buzatto

Walmyr Buzatto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 11:40 PM

On the tough side, my recommendation is the TG5 with PT-058 housing and a wide angle wet lens, like the Weefine WFL02. I also have the E-M1 on a Nauticam housing, with the 12-50 in the special port (expensive, but gives you the full range of the 12-50 zoom AND the macro setting in the same dive) and the Panasonic 8mm with a corresponding Nauticam port. Add two YS-D2 strobes and this is my ideal setup.

TG5 package comes into play when there are severe size and weight restrictions for the carry-on baggage, otherwise I take the E-M1 set.

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk Pro
Using Tapatalk

#6 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

Hi, I agree with the above.  I have the Olympus Tough TG 5 in an Olympus PT-058 housing, with a Sola video light, on a tray.

The combination works very well for macro photo and for video.  The light from the Sola lamp works well, and I have not felt the need to add a strobe.

Here is how to build one's own tray:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=62587

#7 AForns

AForns

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:20 AM

HIi, I ended purchasing a TG-5, my main housing is for an OMD 1 MK2.   Thought it would be fun using and it is great for macro.

My first thought was getting the Olympus housing since its inexpensive, camera is waterproof so not much worries about leaking etc.  After thinking about it, decided to go with Nauticam.  Happy with the set up.

Regarding ports, won't need any.   For WA add a wet lens with 52mm, either one which will increase the coverage or just restores the 24mm native angle of view.   

As someone mentioned above, the only downside is the inability to shoot one manual but not a deal breaker.   .... if getting strobes, the Inon S2000 work well, they are small and TTL works.

al

#8 Walmyr Buzatto

Walmyr Buzatto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:15 PM

Just tried out the Weefine WFL02 on the combination TG5+PT058 a week ago on a dive off Santos, SP (I live in Brazil). Not bad, with the pair of YS-D2.
2a28288f0393447e3fd0c4c1d9153223.jpg

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk Pro
Using Tapatalk

#9 amylynn829

amylynn829

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

AForns,

Can you please tell me what factors led you to choose the Nauticam housing over the Olympus for the TG5? I also have an EM5II that will have a nauticam housing so is there any advantage to keeping both the same? Are there any wet mount lenses that I might use on the EM5II rig that I could also use with the TG5 or is that really not something worth considering. It sounds like many people that have a larger Oly set up enjoy the TG5 as a more travel friendly option so I would love to hear feedback on what advantages there are to choosing one housing/port/etc. over another.

HIi, I ended purchasing a TG-5, my main housing is for an OMD 1 MK2.   Thought it would be fun using and it is great for macro.

My first thought was getting the Olympus housing since its inexpensive, camera is waterproof so not much worries about leaking etc.  After thinking about it, decided to go with Nauticam.  Happy with the set up.

Regarding ports, won't need any.   For WA add a wet lens with 52mm, either one which will increase the coverage or just restores the 24mm native angle of view.   

As someone mentioned above, the only downside is the inability to shoot one manual but not a deal breaker.   .... if getting strobes, the Inon S2000 work well, they are small and TTL works.

al

#10 AForns

AForns

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

Sorry I'm late answering, just got back from Cayman !!

The two housing are very much different in quality and ease of use.  In the case of the TG5 as you said not much to worry about flooding,  My main reason in getting the Nauticam was a good back up for my main housed camera.   Not a hassle to carry on trips and it is fun to shoot.   I will be getting a wet wide angle lens, the one I use for the OMD 1 Mk2 will not fit, its a WWL-1.  For the TG5 housing a Kraken would work fine and gives a 150 degree coverage with the 24mm setting on the TG5. btw it is a 52mm thread so it will fit right on the camera (will fit either housing you choose)

As far as having both housing from the same maker, there is no advantage that I can see.    Anything else you need,. please let me know

al