• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomc

tomc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:10 AM

I am once again pondering the color space question. This time I am trying to get my head around the idea of trying to have all the profiles consistent.
  • Camera is set for adobeRGB. (but I shoot RAW - so does this setting make any difference anyway?).
  • Lightroom is set for adobe standard. (as the program does not have an adobeRGB profile).
  • Monitor is calibrated with Spyder-2. (There is no option for a color space choice.)
  • PS-CS4 is set for Monitor RGB workspace. (Because I think the Spyder calibration should be the default as that is why I calibrated in the first place.)
  • I transfer photos from LR to CS4 with ProPhoto RGB. (this part works very well).
  • I export photos from LR in adobe RGB. (there is definitely a difference on this step between sRGB and adobe RGB).
There does not seem to be a method of setting the same adobe RGB color space for all the devices and programs.
Does anyone see anything wrong with what I doing?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
TomC

Panasonic GX8
http://www.tpixs.com

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4573 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

I am once again pondering the color space question. This time I am trying to get my head around the idea of trying to have all the profiles consistent.

• Camera is set for adobeRGB. (but I shoot RAW - so does this setting make any difference anyway?).
  • Lightroom is set for adobe standard. (as the program does not have an adobeRGB profile).
  • Monitor is calibrated with Spyder-2. (There is no option for a color space choice.)
  • PS-CS4 is set for Monitor RGB workspace. (Because I think the Spyder calibration should be the default as that is why I calibrated in the first place.)
  • I transfer photos from LR to CS4 with ProPhoto RGB. (this part works very well).
  • I export photos from LR in adobe RGB. (there is definitely a difference on this step between sRGB and adobe RGB).
There does not seem to be a method of setting the same adobe RGB color space for all the devices and programs.
Does anyone see anything wrong with what I doing?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
TomC

The best policy is to maintain the largest possible color space (AdobeRGB on your camera and Prophoto everywhere else) at each step of the process and only constrict if needed for output ( like sRGB for web); set camera to AdobeRGB (even though you shoot RAW, if you ever happen to shoot a JPEG you want the largest color space).
Set Lightroom and CS4 to Prophoto as working space.
Monitor calibration does not change the size of the color space, that is monitor specific, but just calibrates the monitor for consistency, so choose the Spyder - 2 setting

Edited by loftus, 14 July 2009 - 05:18 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 tomc

tomc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

set camera to AdobeRGB (even though you shoot RAW, if you ever happen to shoot a JPEG you want the largest color space).

So - if I am shooting raw, the camera's AdobeRBB setting is not relevant? Does that setting only pertain to jpegs?

Set Lightroom and CS4 to Prophoto as working space.

How do you set LR working space to ProPhoto? I am sorry, but I just do not see that option - but I probably don't know where to look.

Thanks,
TomC

Panasonic GX8
http://www.tpixs.com

#4 MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

So - if I am shooting raw, the camera's AdobeRBB setting is not relevant? Does that setting only pertain to jpegs?

How do you set LR working space to ProPhoto? I am sorry, but I just do not see that option - but I probably don't know where to look.

Thanks,
TomC

If you are shooting in RAW, color space plays no part. Only in JPeg as you suspected.
In Lightroom, go to Lightroom, preferences, external editing and choose prophoto for your color space. Also, in the develop panel of Lightroom, check the Camera calibration panel at the bottom. It might be defaulted to adobe standard. You can choose ACR (4.2?) whatever is the latest ACR (adobe camera raw) or you can profile your camera using an x-rite color chart and adobe's profile editor program which I believe you can still download from their site.
Nikon D3, S&S MDX-D3, S&S YS250 (2), Inon 45 viewfinder, ZEN underwater dome, 14mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 110mm.
Outfitted courtesy of H2O Photo Pros - Newport Beach, CA
Visit My Website
Visit my educational not-for-profit foundation "saveourseas.tv"

A is A