23 replies to this topic

#21 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6294 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:51 AM

i miss teaching people how to develop E6 slides and getting them to smell the chemicals to know how to differentiate them...

IE: a ploy to watch the tears roll down their eyes after sniffing Colour B.. :)

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat

#22 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1778 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

Well, a smell which I DO NOT miss is the smell of E6 chemicals! On the other hand I do miss the smell of black and white paper chemicals (and the magical moment of watching an image form on the sheet of paper in the orange glow of a safelight).

I don't miss the smell of two-stroke outboards!

For me, someone who dives mostly in temperate waters, a really evocative smell really is the one of warm (drying/dried) neoprene (in the morning) - it always reminds me of warm waters, bright sun and a relaxed atmosphere and is, for me, a very 'cheerful' smell.

Paul Kay,Canon EOS5DII SEACAM c/w S45, 8-15, 24L,35L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - Sony A7II SEACAM 28/2 & 50/2.8 Macro - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales -see  marinewildlife

#23 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Photo Dude at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

One thing i dont miss is the smell of cleaning cabin 9 on the Tahiti Aggressor after a rough crossing... Especially if 2 guys were in there! Stinky.

A few of you are on here!

Nauticam Rossa / GH4 / 7Dmk2 / 1Dx

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio in an photographer owned / operated resort

#24 BradDB

BradDB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

There is certainly a very distinct smell released from the inside of a Nikonos that hits your nose just after cracking it open post-exposure. It's the smell of film mentioned by Alex in the first post. I suspect the act of unrolling a rerolling the film inside a air-tight container boosts the aroma.
I miss that smell a little bit. Perhaps I could distill and sell that "new-film" smell as a spritz for use inside digital housings. It could be marketed as a port cleaner + air freshener.

-Brad

Panasonic GH5 in Nauticam Housing
Sea&Sea YS-250Pro strobes
http://www.montereydiving.com