• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:16 AM

I've pretty much had it with Lightroom, I think. Subscriptions irritate me...they are a nice money grab for Adobe, Working in the cloud is useless if you do a lot of travel to faraway locations; sufficient bandwidth for simple emails is often challenging.

I'm looking at the new ON1 RAW. Any experience or opinions?

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Right there with you on being forced to the subscription on Lightroom.  I was thinking of Exposure X3.

The free trial looks appealing.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

Fully agreeing. I for sure do not like the subscription.

The worrying issue is what will happen with the Classic Version.

Will it disappear in a few years?

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1825 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:43 PM

You might take a look at MacPhun which is quite nice or Darkroom which is free and also quite user friendly

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:04 PM

I feel the same, but what do you do with your years of edited images?  Yeah, you can export them as full resolution JPG etc, but seriously who is going to do that with thousands of images?  It was so painful going from Aperture to Lightroom that I just cannot imagine another migration.  If there was a way to preserve nondestructive edits, I'd look at switching too.

#6 tursiops

tursiops

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:44 PM

I feel the same, but what do you do with your years of edited images?  Yeah, you can export them as full resolution JPG etc, but seriously who is going to do that with thousands of images?  It was so painful going from Aperture to Lightroom that I just cannot imagine another migration.  If there was a way to preserve nondestructive edits, I'd look at switching too.

I don 't know. Valid point. I guess there is a market for someone to convert a LR Catalog to some other format.

I've played with Macphun (the product is called Luminar). it does not have the importing/cataloging/sorting/organizational aspect of LR.

I'm going to play with ON1 (my first few tries crashed...bad karma), Exposure X3 and Darkroom, too.But Darkroom looks to be optimized for businesses, and not my kind of workflow and needs. So far Exposure X3 looks sweet, but it is $149 so costs more than LR! The question is, do i need a new copy each year?

Right now I'd say the contest is between Exposure X3 and LR; ON1 may be in the game if I can get it working. 

Edited by tursiops, 02 December 2017 - 06:50 PM.