Logistics of camera protection between topside dives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi folks,

Hopefully going for a few days diving at end of the month to Malta.
Am debating wheither or not to bring my SLR rig because of the following:

Typically my diving is: two guided shore dives (with an operator)- with a 1.5. hour surface interval in between.
Total turnaround time about 5 hours from hitting the road in the morning to go to the sites.

This logistic is causing me a bit of worry in that I may not have access to a post dive rinse tank until I return to the dive center.
I was thinking of a strategy of quick rinse of rig with bottled water after dive 1, then keeping my rig wrapped in a towel plus insulated bag between dives on surface interval, and keep in shade to protect from heat. This would tie me over to dive 2, after which we would then return to center.

Am mindful of dessicant packs, moisture build up, dew point, and read all the tips n trix on this forum etc etc etc.- but was just wondering what any of you guys would think of my stratagem in this case?

Any insights much appreciated.

D

Edited by Damo, 12 June 2012 - 08:05 AM.

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hi folks,

Hopefully going for a few days diving at end of the month to Malta.
Am debating wheither or not to bring my SLR rig because of the following:

Typically my diving is: two guided shore dives (with an operator)- with a 1.5. hour surface interval in between.
Total turnaround time about 5 hours from hitting the road in the morning to go to the sites.

This logistic is causing me a bit of worry in that I may not have access to a post dive rinse tank until I return to the dive center.
I was thinking of a strategy of quick rinse of rig with bottled water after dive 1, then keeping my rig wrapped in a towel plus insulated bag between dives on surface interval, and keep in shade to protect from heat. This would tie me over to dive 2, after which we would then return to center.

Am mindful of dessicant packs, moisture build up, dew point, and read all the tips n trix on this forum etc etc etc.- but was just wondering what any of you guys would think of my stratagem in this case?

Any insights much appreciated.

D

A waterproof cooler bag can be used both for storage and as an impromptu rinse tank as well as keeping things cool.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

You said 'May not have a rinse tank", I would ask the dive center whether they bring any kind of cooler for that purpose. But if not, in my opinion, I wouldn't worry too much about that. Certainly, keeping it out of the sun during your interval is important but, if I couldn't rinse the housing between and after the dives, I would just wait until I got back to the hotel room and let it soak in the hot water of the tub for a half hour. It should be fine.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

I rarely get a chance to rinse my camera between dives and sometimes it does get stuck sitting in the sun even for many hours before i can rinse it. I would never sacrifice my ability to take pics based on such conditions. Housings can handle it. Cameras are meant to shoot pictures, not sit in a storage vacuum out of fear of imperfect circumstances. Happy shooting! Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#5 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

Many thanks boys for all the valuable insights

Much appreciated!!

:-)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#6 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

The best solution is to keep it as wet as you can! If you can not rinse away the Saltwater between dives.
The main risk is that salt water is drying up , leaving the Salt crystals( causing potential problems with the O-rings).
Wrap it in a wet towel and put it in the shadow, between the dives and until you get to the rinse tank.
That should do it!

Bring your gear! It is there for being used and not sitting on the Shelf :-)

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#7 Curious George

Curious George

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm with Bill—I've had good luck using a soft-sided cooler (mine happens to have a hard bottom), which I fill with fresh water and use as a rinse tank between/after dives. If you don't have access to fresh water just fill the cooler with salt water, as long as it's wet it's safe! Also helps to regulate the temperature in the housing if there's a significant difference between air temp and water temp so you don't get fogging issues.

#8 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2148 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

What's the point of leaving your camera? If it's not in the water, it's not being used!

Tim

#9 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Hi
I go to Malta quite regular I use a cool bag to transport my housing, I place it the bag during surface intervals, to keep the sun off it more than any thing else.
I only make sure the port is clean before the second dive, only rinsing it back at the dive centre. i have never had any problems, i think that all housings what ever
the make are more robust than we all think they are. I think build up of Sea salt on the port glass is more important between dives. Also Tim makes a great point,their is no point not take your camera.
Only my two cents worth.
AndyPosted Image

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms