5 replies to this topic

#1 balexandrescu

balexandrescu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:15 PM

Hi everyone, 
I shoot a Olympus E-M1 Mark II in a Nauticam housing and usually use the Olympus 7-14 mm lens and 60 mm macro in Nauticam ports. But I want to use my Olympus 8 mm fisheye more and have an old Zen DP-170 port that I was planning on using with it. My questions are: 

1. Would I need an extension ring along with the Zen DP-170 port when using the Olympus 8 mm PRO lens? 

2. Is there a better choice of ports for CFWA close focus wide angle type of shooting? 

Thanks so much!
Bogdan 

#2 Rugani

Rugani

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:37 PM

Hi, I used the Olympus Pro 8mm FE with the NA-EM1 and the DP-170 without any extension. 

I also used the Nauticam 4,33"Dome with an 20mm extension.

Kind regards

Armin

#3 Architeuthis

Architeuthis

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Diving / Photograpy / Video / Gardening / Cooking / Handcraft

Posted 30 October 2017 - 12:51 AM

Hi Bogdan,

I use the Zuiko 8mm FE with the Zen-DP170-N120 plus a 30mm extension. The regular DP170-N85 has a built in 30mm extension and can be used as it is. Only the DP170-N85-II, which has a built in 60mm extension, is not possible...

I would be grateful if someone could show a direct comparison of Zuiko 8mm FE behind DP-170, Nauticam 140mm and Zen DP-100, whether there are differences in real world image quality...

Wolfgang

#4 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 03:36 PM

I find the Zen 100mm dome works really well for CFWA.  I haven't tried a larger dome, but from what I have read, the 170 can make it difficult to get close to your subject and make strobe positioning more difficult.  Hope that helps.

#5 bear35

bear35

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

I contacted Zen to ask what they thought gave best results (between the 170mm and 100mm) with the 8mm pro and they said the 100mm is the better option. Nauticam do the 140mm dome (4,33") that is a good option for both close up and WA.

#6 Rugani

Rugani

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:diving, photography

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

For split images and for wideangle the biger DP-170 would be the better choice.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CFWA, fisheye, wide angle, Olympus