14 replies to this topic

#1 Marc Furth

Marc Furth

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Interests:Do it yourself afficionado

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:45 PM

Take a look at Nikon's new changes to the D2X.

Will these changes be substantially enough to capture more of the DSLR market ?

Would you upgrade to the new D2XS ?

Marc

http://www.steves-di...06_d2xs_pr.html
Nikon D3, 16mm Nikkor,14-24 Nikkor,24-70 Nikkor, Sigma 15 mm New DIY housing,Nikon D2x, DIY housing, Ikelite Strobe 400's, twin iTTL housed Sb 800's, Sigma 14 mm, Tamron 90 mm, Nikkor 80-400 VR, Nikkor 18-200 VR, Tamron 180 mm macro, Epson Pro 4800 printer.

#2 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:08 AM

A new Auto ISO feature allows photographers to maintain a specific shutter speed while letting the camera automatically select an appropriate ISO setting, within a predefined range of sensitivities, based on the existing lighting conditions.

I know a lot of people (from all camps) have been asking for that feature.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:30 AM

FWIW, the D100 had an Auto-ISO feature. I had no idea that Nikon dropped it when designing the firmware for the D2x. It's a good feature if you know it's there and doesn't come turned on as a factory default...:-) (hint, that fooled a lot of D100 users).

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 12:59 AM

This had been rumoured for a little while now. I really don't see many benefits for UW use - given that the High Speed Crop is of little use - and given the screen shading on most housings a wide view LCD isn't much help either. Cyrrent batteries and buffer already over engineered for UW shooting.

The improved AF is the only feature of real interest - although I personally think that the D2X has the best AF of any camera available for UW use (most reviews conclude that 1D Mk2n and D2X have equally good AF in bright conditions, but D2X edges ahead in low light and low contrast). I guess we could always use some improvement for super macro and low light fish behaviour etc. For wide angle it is really not an issue.

My hope is that with a new body out, many "must have the latest" guys will be trading in their D2X, and I might finally be able to afford/justify a backup camera. Although I was hoping that the D200 would also do the same.

Alex

p.s. the best review of specs I have seen is here:
http://forums.dprevi...thread=18660730

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:00 AM

There is a very good article about it on Robert Galbraith’s website
http://www.robgalbra...cid=7-7895-8338

I wonder if many of the D2Xs “new” features couldn’t be implemented on the D2X by a firmware upgrade. This would be very nice. Especially these ones:

Focus Tracking with Lock-On delay now configurable
Autofocus performance improved
Enabling Long Exposure Noise Reduction no longer reduces burst depth
Number of custom tone curves jumps from one to three
FUNC button functionality is expanded
Recent Settings menu can be cleared, locked
AND most important to me:
Sensor cleaning mode no longer requires an AC adapter

Best regards,

Marcelo Krause

#6 col

col

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:03 PM

I wonder if many of the D2Xs “new” features couldn’t be implemented on the D2X by a firmware upgrade.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm hoping this will happen too :) From memory, I think they did a similar thing when the D70 got upgraded to D70s...
Colin Lee | zenfolio/colinlee

#7 Kasey

Kasey

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 12:54 PM

I've been delaying purchase of a 2nd body for this reason.
Seacam F100;D2x; 60mm;105mm;16mm;17-35; 10.5mm;12-24mm
Sea & Sea strobes
www.underthecaribbean.com

#8 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hmmm... finally I might be able to afford a 2nd backup body but now wonder if Nikon won't finally release a fullframe camera in the next 1-2 years. May be I should be saving up the money for that instead. Then I can keep the D2X for macro and use the fullframe for wide angle with all the prime fisheye/wide angle lens, F2.8 17-35 or the F2.8 28-70mm.

#9 Reefwreck

Reefwreck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:42 AM

FWIW, the D100 had an Auto-ISO feature.  I had no idea that Nikon dropped it when designing the firmware for the D2x.  It's a good feature if you know it's there and doesn't come turned on as a factory default...:-) (hint, that fooled a lot of D100 users).

Cheers
James

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may not be that obvious, but the D200 also has an "ISO-Auto" feature under "Metering/Exposure" not/not under "ISO Sensitivity".
Nikon D200, Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm with Nikon 6T Close-up lens, NEXUS Housing, Inon Z-220 and Z-240, Sea&Sea TTL Converter

BLOG

http://allenhost.com/gallery/reefwreck

#10 EspenRekdal

EspenRekdal

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:21 AM

Then I can keep the D2X for macro and use the fullframe for wide angle with all the prime fisheye/wide angle lens, F2.8 17-35 or the F2.8 28-70mm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can understand the argument if the zoom lenses are the only WA glass you'd use. The darkening of corners with Fisheye glass on full frame cameras is so frustrating for me that I for one would keep shoting 10.5 on a cropped sensor.

Cheers,
Espen :)
Nikon D4, D3s, D2x, etc etc.. Nauticam housing, Inon z240s, Subtronic Mega Cs and housed Nikon Sb900s...

#11 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:39 AM

I can understand the argument if the zoom lenses are the only WA glass you'd use. The darkening of corners with Fisheye glass on full frame cameras is so frustrating for me that I for one would keep shoting 10.5 on a cropped sensor.

Cheers,
Espen  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I think that the 17-35mm will definitely be better than the 12-24mm DX. While the 17-55mm DX is very good, I don't know how it would stack up against the 28-70mm which I think would be a very good shark/big fish lens (well, anything smaller than whaleshark, manta and mola mola anyhow). I agree that the 10.5mm fisheye is very good and I use it more often than the 12-24kmm DX now.
I don't have any experience with any prime fisheye glass though but lots of people seem to like the Sigma 15mm and I imagine the Nikkor 14mm should be quite good as well.

#12 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 12:33 PM

...but now wonder if Nikon won't finally release a fullframe camera in the next 1-2 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was large speculation back in 2002 (see the 'Full Frame Timetable' section) that Nikon would be releasing a full-frame camera in the upcoming month of March. That was over three years ago.

I'd like for Nikon to prove me wrong, but I just can't see it happening with the company's current devotion to cropped-sensor cameras.
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#13 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

I hate to get involved in the full frame wars but my Nikon dealer insists that an announcement on a full frame D3 is coming soon.

I hope so. I would like to buy a backup D2X on the cheap.

The only question is the number of MPs. Rumor is they want to beat or match a 22 MP full frame Cannon. If I had any interest in a full frame it would be for larger MPs; not a larger number of MPs.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#14 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:15 PM

The Nikon distributer in Thailand also told me about full frame Nikon dSLR. This was a couple of months ago when they mentioned that they expect 1-2 generations more of D2X before fullframe dSLR will come out. So now there is a D2Xs. So there could still be one more update of D2X or possibly the next release may be a fullframe :)
I wonder what's the chance of it being the same boday as D2X. Probably zero! :)

#15 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 07:36 PM

According to Thon Hogan's website...

"All the changes are what I would characterize as operational changes, making the camera more responsive, easier to use, and more flexible. The EN-EL4a is something that all current D2x users can take advantage of, and Nikon has indicated that all of the other non-hardware features will be made available to D2x users in a firmware upgrade this fall."

So D2x users will be able to use the new battery and have a firmware upgrade to.
That’s very nice, and reduces the differences between the two cameras to only a few items.

Marcelo Krause