8 replies to this topic

#1 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:31 PM

Wondering if anyone has used the TTL converter for the Nikon D850 (or D500 or D5) and what you think about its performance. Also would like to hear opinions on switching underwater to manual mode through the camera as opposed to the strobes.  Reading the instructions it sounds like I don't have a lot of flexibility in having one strobe stronger than the other unless the system allows me to use on-strobe EV controller.  It's a change for me going from manual strobe adjustment to in-camera adjustment so I want to understand what I'm getting into and what potential limitations I'm facing. 

Appreciate any feedback.  I may be retiring my D7100 Nauticam system soon and move into full frame.  I shoot landscape full frame and in-studio full frame and cropped underwater, so I have a crap load of camera gear that I want to standardize.

Thanks

Joe

Joe Belanger
Author, Catalina Island - All you Need to Know
www.californiaunderwater.com
www.visitingcatalina.com

#2 Balage_diver

Balage_diver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo and electronics

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:15 AM

Wondering if anyone has used the TTL converter for the Nikon D850 (or D500 or D5) and what you think about its performance. Also would like to hear opinions on switching underwater to manual mode through the camera as opposed to the strobes.  Reading the instructions it sounds like I don't have a lot of flexibility in having one strobe stronger than the other unless the system allows me to use on-strobe EV controller.  It's a change for me going from manual strobe adjustment to in-camera adjustment so I want to understand what I'm getting into and what potential limitations I'm facing. 

Appreciate any feedback.  I may be retiring my D7100 Nauticam system soon and move into full frame.  I shoot landscape full frame and in-studio full frame and cropped underwater, so I have a crap load of camera gear that I want to standardize.

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe,

The i-TURTLE can switch the manual mode to ttl and back during the dive.  

We made a special function in the software.   If you switch the small display backlight on and off the system swith to manual from TTL  and ofcourse if you switch again the system will be manual.

You can find here a video from that.

Best

Balazs

TTL for all strobe....   TURTE TTL TRIGGER

#3 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:UNDERWATER PHOTO

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:55 AM

Hi Joe,

Nauticam produces #26308 TTL-Converter. It works with all Nikon cameras, independently of TTL protocol version. That board was specially developed for Nauticam D5/ D500/ D850 and future housings in that line.

Hundreds of people tested it for today. I personally tested it with D850 and D500. It performs very accurate TTL.
Adjustment +/-Ev is available using camera wheel, works for both strobes simultaneously. If you need to set one strobe stronger than other, you have to use also +/-Ev corrector on the concrete strobe body.
Important that #26308 TTL-Converter has Incredible battery life - 5 years.
Device switches from TTL to M mode underwater by camera menu.
In M mode user even can adjust uw strobe intensity manually by the camera wheel, can enjoy holding hands on camera. 

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 17 February 2018 - 09:44 AM.

#4 MarkD

MarkD

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:04 AM

Hi Pavel. Has this converter been tested with Retra strobes?

#5 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 04:09 AM

Hi Pavel. Has this converter been tested with Retra strobes?

Hi Mark,

Officially, it has not been tested with Retra strobe yet.

From the new strobes, it was tested with Inon Z330, - TTL worked perfect.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 17 February 2018 - 04:20 AM.

#6 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8599 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:32 AM

Retra did test their strobes with the board in the Nauticam D5 housing in the summer. However, I think that there is a new version of the board now because that board would not fire at all Seacam strobes. I think that the Seacam problem is fixed now with the Nauticam housing for the D850 - although I am sure Pavel can confirm.

Alex 

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#7 Pavel Kolpakov

Pavel Kolpakov

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

Alex, I didn't know that Retra tested TTL work in the summer.

I asked Oskar for a strobe recently, to make TTL tests. Hope we can test it soon.

Edited by Pavel Kolpakov, 17 February 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#8 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:34 AM

Thanks for the intel, everyone.  I'm loving the idea of a higher GN on the Inon 330, too.

Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com

#9 Kelpfish

Kelpfish

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1619 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 10:55 AM

Hi Joe,

Nauticam produces #26308 TTL-Converter. It works with all Nikon cameras, independently of TTL protocol version. That board was specially developed for Nauticam D5/ D500/ D850 and future housings in that line.

Hundreds of people tested it for today. I personally tested it with D850 and D500. It performs very accurate TTL.
Adjustment +/-Ev is available using camera wheel, works for both strobes simultaneously. If you need to set one strobe stronger than other, you have to use also +/-Ev corrector on the concrete strobe body.
Important that #26308 TTL-Converter has Incredible battery life - 5 years.
Device switches from TTL to M mode underwater by camera menu.
In M mode user even can adjust uw strobe intensity manually by the camera wheel, can enjoy holding hands on camera. 

I love not having to remove my hands. I remember my Titan housing from L&M and loved that, but the circuit boards were never reliable and I had to spend a bundle to travel with extras.  But the idea in and of itself is productive.

Joe Belanger
www.visitingcatalina.com