• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steve c r

steve c r

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:06 AM

Hi all and thanks in advance for any input.

I am looking at buying new macro lenses, I already own Reefnet plus 5 and plus 10 lenses which i use on a Nikon d7100 in a nauticam housing .(crop sensor)

My question is this , which is most powerful the smc1 or the plus 10?  I want a more powerful lens with a good working distance if possible. Its difficult to get to compare these lenses myself without purchasing first due to where i live. Oh nearly forgot will be using with 105 and 60mm nikon lenses. 

Cheers steve.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1914 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

Well you are going to run into some laws of physics issues.  The SMC is stronger than +10, it is about a plus 12 or 12.5. The CMC is stronger, the SMC-2 is stronger still, BUT as you add diopter power working distance and DOF will both get smaller. With the 105 the +10 will give you about 2.2 magnification, while the SMC will give you about 2.5 x.  WIth the 60 the +10 will give you 1.5 x and the SMC will give you about 1.7 x.  

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net