• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tc_rain

tc_rain

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Can anyone recommend a scanner to scan old film pictures to a PC?  My wife has what seems like a few thousand pictures that have been handed down through the generations that would be nice to scan onto a hard drive.  I am looking for something that will do a pretty decent job but don’t want to spend several hundred dollars.  I did a search through the forum but the most recent threads I could find were from 2012.  I am thinking something better has come out since then.    

#2 saga7

saga7

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:14 AM

Epson make a pretty good desktop scanner. To see sample of scans i did on my epson. These shot were done on slide film and scanned to digital. https://reefscenics....t-Coast-Canada/

#3 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2015 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 31 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

I'd agree with saga7. I bought an Epson v600 a couple of years ago to scan about 1200 slides plus b+w negatives and prints. I was well pleased with the result. Easy to use and good quality results.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#4 giffenk

giffenk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:26 AM

i have an older epson and it works great. but there are a few things to consider:
- film or photo
- # of pics per scan
- auto picture detection

For scanning photos i just use a canon multi printer thingy (scanner, fax, ink jet printer). it can not scan film. film capable scanners have a light in the lid that shines thru the film. the canon printer scanner is much faster than my epson scanner and works just fine for lowish resolution scans. its auto detect logic is not failproof.

my epson scanner will hold 12 35mm negs on each scan. i wish it held more...i can load it and then walk away for 30 minutes. i had to downgrade my epson software to the older version that came with the film scanner since the scanner support that came with my newer epson printers did not have the ability to autodetect the 12 negs and create 12 separate image files. the epson autodetect has worked perfectly.

#5 tc_rain

tc_rain

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:36 AM

I am just looking to scan old photographs.  As far as I know, there are no negs in the box.  I will look into the Epson.  The price range is right about where I would like it.  Is there a certain feature or specification to look for in scanners that would tend to make them better for pictures than others?     

#6 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

Many years ago Canon was one of the top scanner makers, as was HP. As far as I know, they still are. Realize that not everyone makes the scanning element, so you may buy one brand but the scanner parts are really one of the main manufacturers.

I scanned in all our photos (thousand++) using a multi-function Canon. Mines a "imageclass mf4270", long discontinued. Just make sure the DPI is decent (1200 or more) and has good color depth, which it is the case for most reasonably priced flat bed scanners now.

The best part was using Photoshop elements which allows you to fill the flat bed with photos (say 6) and then it automatically detects the photos and saves them individually. So instead of putting each photo on the scanner, then scanning, you can do it in batches of 6 (or as many as you can fit on the bed).

#7 giffenk

giffenk

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

I am just looking to scan old photographs.  As far as I know, there are no negs in the box.  I will look into the Epson.  The price range is right about where I would like it.  Is there a certain feature or specification to look for in scanners that would tend to make them better for pictures than others?

the ability to scan multiple photos in a single pass and the software to split the photos is very important.

a normal printer fax scanner will only hold 3 4x6 photos at a time. some neg scanners are longer and will hold more photos.

#8 DS256

DS256

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

Since you only have the prints, you could look into a copy stand and take pictures of your prints.