albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:wide angle

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

Hi
Here are three downloads of my tiger shark pics taken in Bahama,s, now using the Flickr embedding. How do I delete my earlier postings? Thanks Albert

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by albert kok, 17 January 2010 - 08:04 AM.

#2 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:18 AM

First shot is beautifully composed. One os the best I've seen. Wonderful shot!

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#3 Kari Post

Kari Post

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:nature, the outdoors, adventures of all kinds, backpacking, swimming, photography, writing, conservation, education

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

Awesome shots! The first one is my fav!
Kari Post
www.karipost.com

#4 tonydiver

tonydiver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photos<br />Technical Diving<br />Biologist

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:39 AM

Really great shots! Are you using Tokina Lens? 10-17?

#5 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Interests:Kick-boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

I love all 3 of the images!!!!

#6 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

Thanks..
Yes, this was all with the Tokina 10-17 and Nikon D90. No flash but magic filter with adjusted white balance.

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

I like the composition and mood, but I think the images look a bit overprocessed (at least for my taste). The sky just seems like it shouldn't look pink/purple like that in the second pic, and the blacks look like they are clipped.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

I think the images look a bit overprocessed (at least for my taste). The sky just seems like it shouldn't look pink/purple

Nice images Albert. I think the purple James is seeing can be cleaned up with a little finer touch on the White Balance controls. The second shot is just a touch too much shifted to the red on the tint. (minus 19 looks good on my monitor) (I'm using Lightroom to look at them). The third one (a really nice shot) is just a tad over exposed on my screen. If you bring exposure down about stop, WB can move more toward blue and clean it up nicely. Making WB adjustments can be interesting using Magic filters. Glad you captured some nice images to work on.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#9 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the comments!
Yeah.. your right about the pink purple.. Ill give the raw versions another try in CS4. I was also a bit worried about the hard blue of the background, especially near the horizon..
Albert

#10 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hi
Here are two more sharks of the April 2009 Shearwater trip. They both also appear on my earlier uploaded slides of the same trip. The second shark should be the famous 'Emma'
Albert

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

Nice images Albert. I think the purple James is seeing can be cleaned up with a little finer touch on the White Balance controls. The second shot is just a touch too much shifted to the red on the tint. (minus 19 looks good on my monitor) (I'm using Lightroom to look at them). The third one (a really nice shot) is just a tad over exposed on my screen. If you bring exposure down about stop, WB can move more toward blue and clean it up nicely. Making WB adjustments can be interesting using Magic filters. Glad you captured some nice images to work on.

Steve

Thanks Steve for your helpful comments. Im not sure yet how to handle white balance in CS4.. I think there is a option in Camera raw.. You can select either: as shot or standard..
Part of the fun for me with these shark pictures is to capture some of the excitement going on .. Like the two shots here , bit messy.. but it gives a nice impression of whats going on below the boat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by albert kok, 21 January 2010 - 12:08 PM.

#12 nortoda1

nortoda1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

Love the shots
Going on a JASA trip in July, can't wait. Did you use the 10-17 at 10 for all the shots?

#13 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:44 AM

Hi
Thanks.
Yes I had only two lenses with me; the Tokina 12-24 and Tokina 10-17. I also used the Tokina 10-17 in the video mode of Nikon D90 with the magic filter. No lights. This seemed to work out reasonably well at tiger beach. The camera is easy to handle with one hand if you dont have to carry the strobes around.
Al

#14 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 26 January 2010 - 01:36 AM

I have to say that I'm impressed, particularly with your use of a filter. It's difficult to avoid the purple cast to the water unless you do colour correction in CS4 on a layer, separating the water from the shark by applying a layer mask.

I think that your compositional skill is stunning.

As an aside, does anyone know of a hotel near to JASA for when I fly over to do a Shearwater trip in the summer?

Tim

:island:

#15 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hi Tim thanks
If you to use the magic filter, you simply press the white balance button on your camera and do the correction underwater, by aiming at the sandy bottom or something else that looks white or grey-ish. If it does not look right, try again Better make these shots with the sunlight behind you.
Here is another example of a shot I did on that location last year with JASA ( I think its Emma again, not sure)

Posted Image

For a hotel in W. Palm Beach you should ask the JASA people. There is a motel with a pool not so far from their office..good luck..

Edited by albert kok, 26 January 2010 - 11:39 AM.

#16 scubadiverdan

scubadiverdan

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

Those are some amazing shots. The first one is so surreal! Thanks for sharing them.

-Daniel

----------------
Daniel Herrington
Broadreach and Academic Treks
www.gobroadreach.com
www.academictreks.com

#17 lomaro

lomaro

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:44 AM

Great shots Albert!
Love the first one.

Cheers
Alex

#18 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

AMAZING photos, Ive been wanting to see a tiger shark since I moved to hawaii 3 years ago... Still have yet to see one.

As far as the purple color of the water,

Color is effects the mood of the photo. If you want it ultra realistic then change the color. However I think the composition + the color give it a very powerful mood

#19 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:04 AM

Thanks,
There is still plenty of them in Bahama's. The Great Hammerhead however seems to be becoming more and more rare.. There also used to me a nice group of bullsharks that were fed from the beach at Walkers Cay. Not sure if that show is still going on.
Al

Posted Image

#20 albert kok

albert kok

Sting Ray

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:59 AM

Two more shots from the same series...the second shot shows a tiger with a (I think) mutilated dorsal fin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by albert kok, 09 February 2010 - 10:49 AM.