• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Pink Tank Scuba

Pink Tank Scuba

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm now sticking a 4K go-pro clone on the top of the macro port on my Nauticam 7D housing for video. It beats taking two cameras. :-D

I do love the video my G16 produces - the autofocus works really well when I use my Sola 1200 as a video light. The Sola also makes a great focus light for the G16. My G16 rig was a dual handle Ikelite TTL housing. DS51 on an Ikelite arm set with wired sync cord for TTL flash. Sola 1200 on a flex-line on the other handle positioned just above the lens port. I got many great shots and video with that setup.

The only downside of video and G16 is the autofocus does make a slight 'chugging' noise. It's audible and does really annoy some people. I just cut the gain on the audio track and find it OK.

I bought the Nauticam / Canon 7D because it was such an awesome deal. I'd been wanting to try DLSR in a aluminum housing, but could never afford it until this deal came along. I got a whole kit (camera, lens, port, focus light, strobes, cord & arms) for the same price as some folks are asking for the housing alone, so I just had to buy it. ;-)

I can live without video on the 7D. Using the 60mm lens for macro, it's just too difficult to get really good video of any length. Even with a manual focus knob, I spent all my time pulling focus. SO much easier to add a go-pro for video.

Such a perfect solution! Now why didn't I think of that? I can't quite see on my 7D Nauticam housing where I would mount a GoPro (which I already have - though despise the fact that there's no zoom capacity ...) Would you mind posting a photo please of how you've mounted yours? Thanks so much.

#22 Draq

Draq

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:53 PM

It sounds like you would be happiest sticking with a compact.  Check out the Panasonic LX10 with one of the housings available for it and if you want a small strobe, look at an Inon s2000.    Larger sensor, good video, small form factor, less expensive than Sony.  Just a thought.

#23 Barmaglot

Barmaglot

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:40 PM

Such a perfect solution! Now why didn't I think of that? I can't quite see on my 7D Nauticam housing where I would mount a GoPro (which I already have - though despise the fact that there's no zoom capacity ...) Would you mind posting a photo please of how you've mounted yours? Thanks so much.

Typically you'd mount the GoPro on the housing's cold shoe, through a dedicated adapter - there are plenty of those around. I've seen a triple camera setup once - an Olympus mirrorless set up for macro, with a Fuji compact on top of it set up for wide-angle, and a GoPro on top of that taking video - looked a bit like a christmas tree.

#24 sbonev

sbonev

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:17 PM

I used it like that.The results were very shaky videos ... so you better not do any pics while shooting video, which proved a little bit difficult with this particular setup

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Edited by sbonev, 21 March 2018 - 12:26 AM.

#25 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

This is the only current photo. My gear is always apart between dives, so I can't take a better photo until next Sunday. However, this was captured on last Sunday's dive as we  entered the water by the "other" gopro clone on a head strap. Yea, all gear-geek but trying out various options. :-D

The vis was really crappy last Sunday (herring run in full swing) so vis was at most 5-7 ft with a lot of particulate in the water. The 4K gopro clone you see in the photo on top of my Nauticam did not get great video as the back-scatter from my Kraken ring light just illuminated all the crap in the water unless I was really close taking a photo. The head-cam actually took much clearer video with no light in this case.

I'm probably going to not bother with the on-camera go-pro right now in the bad vis and put the 4K on my head instead. I'm also playing with scooter mounts for our other dive site.

Chemainus 2018-03-18 (helmet).jpg

#26 Undertow

Undertow

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:20 AM

Haven't read through all this gear discussion but I usually tell people that unless they know they want a dslr rig, go mirrorless or compact. Your images are excellent, you know what you're doing. If you're happy with compact, go that route. 

Regarding your hand, why not disconnect the strobe arms and clip them to d-rings on your weight belt (and/or BCD shoulder straps) for the topside walk? I also have a bag shoulder strap rigged to my housing handles.

It took me a while to also realize my macro setup was messing with my wrist UW, not from negative buoyancy but from the housing's trim. It was very nose heavy and I holding it level I was always sort of 'twisting' it up. Didn't even realize I was till I had some wrist problems. 

#27 bnf-austin

bnf-austin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:42 AM

A Sony A6300 is roughly the same size as your Canon G12, but it packs an APS-C sensor. Olympus OM-D series M4/3 cameras are similarly sized, and Olympus 12-50mm lens even has a dedicated macro mode, although utilizing it takes an expensive gear in a very expensive housing.

I own the Olympus OM-D with two 12-50 mm lenses and the nauticam housing with the associated port/ gear. I bought my whole system, with a spare OM-D body used for under $2500 at the time. SO it doesn’t have to be insanely expensive to get a very versatile and easy to travel / dive with rig.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#28 bnf-austin

bnf-austin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:45 AM

Hmmm - I haven't done any research yet into the Sony A6300 but will take a look. Thanks for the heads up on the gear and housing costs - my research had led me straight to that lens but without looking at price tags. Forgive my ignorance, but when you say dedicated Macro Mode, do you have to switch to that before the dive and stay with it for the entire dive, or can you toggle in and out of the macro mode during a dive?

If you decide to go the 12-50mm route, I have two of those lenses and the nauticam port / gear to use with it. I dove the 12-50 mm for a couple trips. It is very versatile and I got a bunch of great shots with it. I eventually upgraded my lenses to the Zuiko pro level lenses and dome ports, so I am looking to sell the combination of 12-50mm + flat port + gear as a package.

#29 bnf-austin

bnf-austin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:48 AM

Honestly, if I were in a similar situation, I'd be tempted to buy a used (or two) Canon G16 and the Ikelite TTL housing for it. It does everything you want, and realistically, the sensor size is more than enough for underwater photographer needs. A used G16 and housing could be obtained quite inexpensively and would do you for years to come.

Mine had a wired Ikelite DS51, but my buddy has a G15 in the same (almost) housing and uses a Sea&Sea optical strobe with equally excellent results.

If you wanted to get really fancy, get a used Inon Z240 which does optical TTL and is half the size (and weight) of the DS125. Add a good Sola video/focus light for complete versatility.

What I love about my G16 is that without a strobe it's very small and can be carried on any dive. It also is capable of 1080p video and the video is very good - the auto-focus works properly (in my opinion) when taking video which is a bonus when something fast goes past (i.e. dogfish).

That's the one real downside of the 7D. It's video is good, but does not maintain autofocus during video which means it's pretty much useless for most UW video, again IMO.

The last point is whether your a "Canon" person (or a Nikon person, or a Fuji person, etc.). If so, then getting told to buy and learn another brand (and get all the lenses you need for it) is really a non-starter. I know Canon is not the best camera in every circumstance (and poor in many), but the time/money I've got invested in Canon means that I'll go to it first before considering any other brand. Or, put another way, any other brand MUST be something like 4-10x superior in every way before I'd even consider it. It's just the economics and learning curve.

Wow! That is a nice housing and a very, very reasonable price, especially as the page showed in $CDN. Sadly, they only go to 130ft according to the site, which limits them for me.

If. you spring for the Nauticam housing you gain in functionality and depth limits.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canon G12, Canon 7D, compact vs DSLR, compact camera, DSLR