6 replies to this topic

#1 C3ntury

C3ntury

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I am hoping some insight can be shared between the Nikon D80 and Nikon D200. I have read through many posts regarding comparisons of both and still not sure which route to venture towards. I would like to use the camera primarily for wildlife, topside, picture taking and aquarium macro images; however, I do see myself diving more often in the near future and would like solid underwater performance. My frustrations arise with seeing many people primarily recommend the D200 for underwater use because of the "ease of use" and "configuration abilities;" however, I've also noticed statements that cameras have few functions to rely upon underwater, which makes the point rather moot and that it may not be a camera recommended for heavy topside users because of weight and lack of battery time. Any clarifications to this? The D80 is recommended for the opposite reasons listed, but it's features cannot compare with the D200 underwater...so I've read, yet I've seen wonderful pictures from both cameras.....

I think I am just confusing myself the more I read ;)

Thank you to those taking the time, I greatly appreciate any general opinions as to which camera may be my best fit :D

Edited by C3ntury, 07 June 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#2 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

I've just gone thru the same thing. Was thinking about upgrading to a D80 because my Nexus D70 housing was supposed to be upgradable to D80, but that didn't happen (old version of D70 housing). Depends on what you'll be shooting. For just u/w I think the 200 is overkill. It has lots of features you'll never use. Underwater you would probably be shooting RAW in manual mode, unless you get an Ike housing & Ike strobes for iTTL. So alot of the possible adjustment/shooting settings on the D200 won't apply. If you'll also shooting topside stuff then some of those feautres may come in handy. I just decided that I need more fps for some topside action shots & good battery life, so I'm upgrading to a D300 system. Have to buy a new housing whichever way I go, so that part doesn't make much difference. Just have your Platinum Card handy.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#3 shchae

shchae

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:02 PM

Hi,
I am using d80,d200 & d300 and I like d200 most because of 'configuration ability' you mentioned. I want to control my camera as I needed & d80 has a limited control. Re d300, I am still learning about this camera & it shows low contract sometimes and I cannot control it like I do on d200.
Sam

D500/D5 in modified Nexus housing
and EOS-1DS Mk3 in Seacam.

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

I've just gone thru the same thing. Was thinking about upgrading to a D80 because my Nexus D70 housing was supposed to be upgradable to D80, but that didn't happen (old version of D70 housing). Depends on what you'll be shooting. For just u/w I think the 200 is overkill. It has lots of features you'll never use. Underwater you would probably be shooting RAW in manual mode, unless you get an Ike housing & Ike strobes for iTTL. So alot of the possible adjustment/shooting settings on the D200 won't apply. If you'll also shooting topside stuff then some of those feautres may come in handy. I just decided that I need more fps for some topside action shots & good battery life, so I'm upgrading to a D300 system. Have to buy a new housing whichever way I go, so that part doesn't make much difference. Just have your Platinum Card handy.

JCC.. if your housing for the D70 needs a home.. my place has an opening. Of course my check book is limited as I just bought a Z-240...but my gear space is wide open...
Just trying to be helpful...perhaps only succeeding at being trying...

:-)

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 Galkin

Galkin

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi guys.
Nice forum.
This is my first post here.

Ok. As for C3ntury's question.
I have tried to compare these two digital cameras by its scores.
Ok. Here are the results:

Nikon D80
http://www.testfreak...eras/nikon-d80/
Score: 9.1 out of 10 based on reviews from 304 sources in 37 countries.

Nikon D200
http://www.testfreak...ras/nikon-d200/
Score: 8.6 out of 10 based on reviews from 268 sources in 35 countries.

So as you can see yourself the best score has the first one. As for me - I'm totally agree with a crowd

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:51 AM

There are years of good photography in either camera, but the D200 does more, and is tougher with better seals (a little more robust when out of its housing on the boat or the beach). Battery life is not really a consideration, as even the D200 will do 3 dives on a battery (and I use the internal flash to trigger my underwater strobes).

Both cameras are now obsolete (= perfectly acceptable for high-class photography up to publication standards!), which has the advantage that upgrade geeks might be selling on their housings. I would choose whichever camera fits the housing that is available at the best price, and not agonise about it. I suspect that all the guys who didn't convert D200s to D300s are now going to jump to D700s, and D200 housings may be easier to get on the second-hand market than D80s housings.

Underwater the key camera factors seem to me to be, in no particular order:

AF performance (AF speed, minimal "hunting")
colour rendition
low-light/high-ISO noise
size of viewfinder
size of preview LCD
TTL strobe performance
buffer performance (max. shooting speed)

I found big improvements across the board between the D70 and the D200, and although the differences are smaller with the D80s, they are still there.

I strongly suspect that none of these factors are as important than finding a housing that is comfortable and easy to use in the water.

Tim

B)

#7 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:12 AM

d80 is definitely better, imho. it's lighter, and has a much longer battery life. underwater the setup will be less negative. less cost means more $ for better lenses.

UW housings will most likely be built slightly better than D200 housings since the housings came out afterwards. that's definitely true of the S&S D80 housing.

Images out of the cameras will be exactly the same.

Tim gave some good advice about finding a housing you like, either D200 or D80, then getting the camera to match, if you are definitely going the UW route.