• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SMY

SMY

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:34 AM

I read always, that on surface the D810 has a problems with by normal shutter speeds, and the new 1/125 should be 1/200 to avoid receiving no sharpness.

While diving with my D810 in Nauticam / Zen 170 and Sigma Fisheye I havent identified this effect when using 1/125 shuter speed......can this be an effect from flash? Is the flash speed maybe freezing the picture?

Best regards! Sascha

#2 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

Can you point to some reference about this shutter speed 'issue'?   I have a D810 and never had such a problem.   The only reference I can remember to some shutter speed issue had to do with specific VR lenses (perhaps only one - the 300f4 PF?) not working well with VR at that shutter speed.

Flash WILL in some cases freeze the motion, if it is the primary light source for the subject.   At 1/125th, you might have enough ambient light to show some motion blur (subject or camera), depending on aperture and ISO.

#3 SMY

SMY

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

It's maybe related to VR, but if you google for D800 or D810 and sharpness / blurry there are a lot of articles. I understood that this is because of the high resolution on a small chip....

#4 CamelToad

CamelToad

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

I have shot a lot of 1/125th with my D810. Lenses are calibrated to my body. No issues to speak of in water, walking around, or in studio.

This also can be related to focal length and VR use (or not), support, and a myriad of other factors. 

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

#5 craig nelson

craig nelson

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:27 PM

My D810 has not faultered, I'm always happy with images, when there is any blur I can see that it's my fault, hand holding long VR lenses expecting them to soak up 3-5 stops and starting with 1/125 at 300mm (on land). At times people forget the basic principles of photography.

One I've used for years is simple. Shutter speed should equal focal length at least, even with VR. It's true that VR helps but it's not to override Basic principles of obtaining sharp images.

There are people out there with more money that knowledge on the topic and will happily be upset with results created by their own foolishness at times. It will happen topside mainly I guess when not shooting flash.

We expect so much of VR and it can and does help, but better to apply principles that have been used for years.

Try and stationary subject with flash I'm sure it will be perfect.

Craig
Nikon D200 - Sea & Sea DX-200 - Inon Z-240's
10-17mm 12-24mm 60mm 105mm

#6 SMY

SMY

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the advices!!

Best regards, Sascha

#7 phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

It's maybe related to VR, but if you google for D800 or D810 and sharpness / blurry there are a lot of articles. I understood that this is because of the high resolution on a small chip....

I think you are perhaps misunderstanding the cause of 'blurry' here.   There are two 'issues'.

1. In one (and only one) case I know of, the 300f4 PF lens had an issue at specific (around 1/125th) shutter speeds where VR was clearly less effective than other shutter speeds.   There was even a firmware fix for this (I think on the lens).  Not having that lens I never looked into it much.

2. most cases referenced involve too-slow shutter speeds.  Contrary to popular theory, 1/focal length of lens as minimum OK shutter speed is NOT sufficient.   Over and over I have found the need for faster shutter speeds than 1/focal length.   Perhaps due to my age (63), but I hold big cameras pretty stably.   It is the high resolution that is showing you in great detail when you have small flaws in your shooting discipline.   Put on a 50mm lens, and I find I need at least 1/100th to get consistent sharp images.

This is NOT due to high resolution on a small chip - it's actually just high resolution.

That's without VR.   With VR it is so hard to test that you can't reliably predict how slow you can shoot.   But one thing is for sure - it's a lot harder to hold a camera steady underwater than above, and VR helps a lot.    You still need high enough shutter speeds to freeze motion though, but slow enough to work with flash sync (1/250th or so with D8xx).  I generally shoot in manual mode underwater, setting shutter speed at 1/160th.  (Fast enough to generally freeze subjects, but within flash sync speed.  Also I like to have some ambient for certain shots, and 1/.160th is often slow enough for that near the surface.   Shooting at 1/100 was giving me a lot of blur in any moving subject.

When I am shooting macro, and I'm stopping down to F36 at times, ALL of my light will be from the flash, and it's really the flash duration (probably 1/2000th) that is freezing motion, regardless of shutter speed.

#8 SMY

SMY

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:14 PM

Perfect explanation! Thank you so much!

Regards, Sascha

Edited by SMY, 11 September 2017 - 10:15 PM.