Best Housing for Olympus TG5 ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

I have used the housing for the Olympus TG4, and it has worked well, except it tends to fog.  Now I am considering the Olympus TG5 camera, for which two housings are available: Olympus and Ikelite..

Which of the two is a better housing in terms of ease of use, water tight seal and fogging ?

Thank you for your expert opinion.

#2 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

Hi,
have a look for the new uwpmag.com
Phil Rudin has done a review on the Ikelite housing.

Regards,
Wolfgang

#3 tursiops

tursiops

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:18 PM

I'd go with the Nauticam.

http://reefphoto.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_33&products_id=9334 

#4 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, travel, carpentry, gardening, biology, medicine, physics, design & build UW custom gizmos

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

Thank you for the prompt and expert advice, I much appreciate it.   I just got the Ikelite housing and camera and look forward to enjoying it in the Philippines next month.

#5 Kraken de Mabini

Kraken de Mabini

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

As a follow up:  Just yesterday I purchased the Ikelite housing for the Olympus TG-5 camera, and find it is poorly designed.  The shutter trigger and the zoom control are very stiff and not easy to operate;  and as another Wetpixeler, Phil Rudin, mentioned the push buttons are very small, crowded and difficult to use with gloves or by feel.   I have returned the Ikelite and will use the Olympus housing.

Other housings for the TG-5 are much too expensive, such as the Nauticam that goes for $800 plus.  These past years I have used the Olympus housing for my TG-3 and TG-4 Olympus cameras and it is a good housing, reasonably priced and easy to use.  But when open it must be kept very dry, and absorbent gel packs should be placed in it so it does not fog.

Also, it helps to mount the housing on a tray to hold it steady and and to hold lights or strobes.

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=60976- Tips to prevent fogging.