Photo
- - - - -

Over processing (especially magenta/red)

magentared postprocessing photoshop mantaray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Greatwhitesean

Greatwhitesean

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

Hi all,

I posted a photo to the Wetpixel Facebook group and had some feedback off an experienced photographer about the 'pinkish' look to the Manta Ray. I had failed to notice at the time of original processing that there was a slight pink look to the Manta which made the shot less realistic to what we actually see. I was hoping I just found the elusive magenta manta ray but unfortunately it was just my mistake. I am still a novice to the underwater photography world and always looking to gain experience and the post processing part is something I am working on. After the feedback I went back to the photo and took the magenta and red down and got much more realistic shots. Check out the 3 shots and where I have corrected. 

Many Thanks

I posted manta stars of show 1 low res.jpg manta stars of show 2 low res.jpg manta stars of show low res.jpg

#2 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

First photo is cracking!

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, 48,000lm of artificial sun.

www.richardwait.com

#3 coinee

coinee

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:39 AM

Hey Sean! With a manta shot from below you have a big area of 'white' available already - in Lightroom you can use method 3 (http://digital-photo...e-in-lightroom/) to get the white balance right pretty much every time very easily.

The first one is definitely the best version.

Fabian Schorp

Flickr: https://www.flickr.c.../129488282@N06/

Nikon D750, NA-D750, 105mm macro, 16-35mm, Sigma 15mm fisheye, Dual YS250 Pro

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3135 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Hi Sean,

Another option with Mantas because they are black and white is to use an adjustment brush in Lightroom or similar program and then lower the saturation of the "painted" or selected area  and you can create a more realistic looking image.  This is your bottom pink bellied image with that technique applied.  It works much better with the Raw file but hopefully you get the idea.  As with any adjustment you can overcook it but it's a common technique I use when I'm lucky enough to dive with Mantas.

Version2_sean 1.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 Greatwhitesean

Greatwhitesean

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:38 PM

Many thanks for the replies. I really need to learn Lightroom as I only use photoshop CC but I see a lot of underwater photographers rave about Lightrooms. I have it installed but as I am comfortable with Photoshop I haven't tried to get to grips with it.. I think it's time to get out of my comfort zone and learn. Again thanks for your time and I will take into consideration and try your techniques. 

Thanks

Sean

Edited by Greatwhitesean, 12 March 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#6 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2116 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club - English Premier League Champions (again) for 2017-18

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:37 AM

Hi Sean

If you are a bit of a ninja with PS I'm not sure you would gain much from LR in terms of image processing.

The advantage, I find, of LR is its simplicity for editing - no relatively complex key combinations to remember - and its filing/indexing/selecting and outputting capabilities.

For me LR is much more intuitive. I've done a couple of PS courses but if I don't use it for a while, which has been the case over the last couple of years, I can't then remember how to do things. Whereas I always find the LR controls and sliders straightforward and fast. But I  guess a lot of that is just down to familiarity.

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D800 and D500, Nikkors 105mm and 16-35mm, Sigma 15mmFE, Tokina 10-17,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#7 JamesR

JamesR

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:36 PM

Is your monitor calibrated? If not, I think it's a worth-while step if you really want colors to be accurate. I've heard a few people grumble about prints not looking right after sending the files off due to a non-calibrated screen. Just something to think about.

-James

Flickr | 500px (some nsfw in both)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magentared, postprocessing, photoshop, mantaray