Green soup!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:05 AM

The poor British photographer has suffered again! Not only inflated prices for gear, cold weather and enormous charges for fuel to get to the dives, but soupy green water at the annual "Diver" magazine Stoney Cove Splash-in competition.

The rules are: no processing, JPEG from the camera and shot on the day.

My results are not for public consumption (too embarrassing); my 14-year old son is no longer talking to me after I persuaded him to model for me, promising fame and national exposure of his wonderful diving skills, but putting him into the green soup and shoving a dome port into his face to get any image at all. And don't talk to me about the crayfish....

I will post only if someone else is brave enough to go first!

Does any other part of the world host a similarly frustrating competition? Are they as much fun (in a masochistic way)?

Tim

B)

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:29 AM

Go on Tim - you know it makes sense!

At least you got in the water - over here in Guernsey the vis is currently between 6" and 1 foot, where it has been since Christmas.

Hit the bottom last week at 40m knelt down and still couldn't see it.
Go on - give us a laugh.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8595 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:50 AM

Come on, Tim.

I saw the crayfish on Tuesday night and they looked rather good to me - certainly considering the pea-souper conditions.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Thanks!

Of course I just wanted a bit of encouragement...

.... unfortunately it's 23:00 and I'm stuck in an operating theatre whilst my team does clever things. I don't have the images to hand, so you will have to wait until tomorrow....

.... this, of course is a post for sympathy....

.... meantime, there are some pretty good images from my compatriots on the Digigreen website.

Tim

B)

#5 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2181 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:05 AM

Here you are: just remember that you could see a vague shape if a diver was over 6' away...

.... there were a few reprobates from EMUP (who, apparently, also got lost on their dive):

Stoney_Splash_in_105_web.jpg

There has been some photoshopping, so, strictly, these are not the images entered into the competition:

Stoney_Splash_in_012_web.jpg Stoney_Splash_in_034_web.jpg

Stoney_Splash_in_045_web.jpg Stoney_Splash_in_053_web.jpg Stoney_Splash_in_069.jpg

If you're interested my son was shot with a magic filter and a 10.5mm lens with -1 stop exposure compensation, 200ASA equivalent and shutter-priority 1/60, the wildlife with two Inon Z-240 strobes controlled by optical TTL and a 60mm micro lens, 100 ASA equivalent shutter-priority 1/60, yielding about f5.6 to deliberately reduce the depth of field and throw the appalling backscatter out of focus.

Tim

B)

#6 fpoole

fpoole

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:UW Photog, Hiking, cooking Wandering

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

Heheh... Looks like PNW Diving, same soup, same dive eh???
Nice shots with the 10.5

Have Camera, Will Travel
www.poolesweb.com

#7 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Canon 7D,Inon Z220,Sony DSR 400P,Aquacam Futura Pro

Posted 09 May 2008 - 05:01 AM

The poor British photographer has suffered again! Not only inflated prices for gear, cold weather and enormous charges for fuel to get to the dives, but soupy green water at the annual "Diver" magazine Stoney Cove Splash-in competition.

The rules are: no processing, JPEG from the camera and shot on the day.

My results are not for public consumption (too embarrassing); my 14-year old son is no longer talking to me after I persuaded him to model for me, promising fame and national exposure of his wonderful diving skills, but putting him into the green soup and shoving a dome port into his face to get any image at all. And don't talk to me about the crayfish....

I will post only if someone else is brave enough to go first!

Does any other part of the world host a similarly frustrating competition? Are they as much fun (in a masochistic way)?

Tim

B)

Tim
I can totally relate to this.I live and dive in Cape Town,South Africa.Our seas are called Clean Green(named after a green colour toilet detergent)Its like jumping into an ice cold 12 degree bowl of soup everytime i dive.Although this cold rich water brings big pelagics and big Great Whites its real a challenge for shooters.I shoot video and the last wreck dive i did at 27m look like i discovered a new form of a green colour from another planet.Something maybe NASA might want to take a look at this new green.

Sympathiser to English divers
Canon 7D,Nauticam NA 7D housing,Inon Z220s strobes,Canon 60mm macro,Tokina 10-17mm
Sony DSR 400P,Panasonic DVX 100B,Futura Pro Housing,Macbook Pro i5 (FCP,Aperture&Lightroom)

#8 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)
    Now Senior Editor at Undercurrent.org

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:52 AM

I got the "Someone has to go to Stoney Cove and someone has to go to Richelieu Rock, Thailand."
To which I replied, "So who's going to Stoney Cove?"

Funnily enough, the water became a little green at Richelieu Rock.

Edited by John Bantin, 10 May 2008 - 09:54 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#9 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6309 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 10 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

.... unfortunately it's 23:00 and I'm stuck in an operating theatre whilst my team does clever things. I don't have the images to hand, so you will have to wait until tomorrow....

.... this, of course is a post for sympathy....

sympathy? you are on WP while you have other people work? hmmmmm... none from me! haha

Ya, green water is tough alright, not a bad effort though in tough conditions.

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in the Lembeh Strait at NAD Lembeh with Doug Sloss in 2018
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in the ultimate classroom, Bali! or join us on a trip www.underwatertribe.com and www.baliuwphoto.com

Join us for a trip in Indonesia in Komodo or Raja Ampat