142 replies to this topic

#21 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:56 AM

So how low will the price of the original 5D go now that the Mark II is on the way?
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

Hey Jean, your overlay scale is off. :) You could've kept the old 5D owners more hopeful for a few more weeks. :uwphotog:

I hope it doesn't suffer the same AF problems as the MARKIII !!!!

I think Canon probably stayed with what worked with a tad improvement this time round. :nea:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:13 AM

You could've kept the old 5D owners more hopeful for a few more weeks. :uwphotog:

I believe in whiplash therapy :)

I lined up the eyepice on both camera as this is the most vital part when it comes to converting a housing, as you can see if you want to look through the camera then the buttons and controls basically go south :nea:

Cheers
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#24 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:42 AM

"As you can see from the first image below the body is made up of three pieces of magnesium, the only plastic elements being sides and the base. With the advent of the Mark II Canon are finally talking about the dust / water resistance of the body, the second image below shows these seals, Canon's description: "The battery compartment, memory card door, LCD and the camera buttons are all fitted with sealing materials (indicated in red). In addition the adoption of high precision split-level alignment of the magnesium-alloy external covers, high precision dial construction and external rubber grip covers (indicated in green), has improved the camera's dust and water resistance."
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#25 Paul Klaver

Paul Klaver

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

Also from Canon: High performance with 3.9 fps continuous shooting, new shutter with a durability of 150,000 cycles and improved weather-resistant body.

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

James
Don't just read...look! :uwphotog: It's crappy felt material and it doesn't go all the way round.
Camera body seals
Battery compartment closeup

Compare that with your 1D battery rubber battery seal.
1Ds MkIII seals

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

Sealing looks like a light foam-rubber rather than actual rubber gaskets...

Does not sound half-assed to me. 10mm in 3 minutes is heaver rain than you would get in a hurricane.

Well that's equal to 200mm per hour... which is less than the 1D series' 254mm per hour resistance. So I apologize for my bad math... it's about 3/4 ass implementation. :uwphotog:

I don't think you can extrapolate out like that - I think there may be a reason they listed it as a water/3min rating. Seals may saturate to an extent after that point...
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#28 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Looks like this is an opportunity for Wetpixel to do some product testing. We can just put each camera in the shower and see what time and intensity it takes to kill it. About 10 samples of each camera should give reasonably good statistics.

What do you think Eric. :uwphotog: :)
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#29 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:45 AM

Group buy! ;)

Drew

#30 Jolly

Jolly

Lightning Kraut

• PipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

finally Auto ISO!

video feature is just perfect. Especially 1080p with 30fps.
I wouldn't basically prefer h264 for recording but it should be fine considering the high bitrate the MkII uses.

I'll have to get it!

PS/edit: just discovered Sealux already confirmed 5D MkII housing on their website ;)

Edited by Jolly, 17 September 2008 - 11:49 AM.

| Canon 5D I+II / Sealux CC5-GD I+II custom converted | 2x Ikelite DS-125 | ULCS |

#31 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

Welcome back Jolly! Did it take the replacement of the 5D to get you back here :-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#32 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

The sealux guys probably have the measuring tape out already since they are at Photokina.

Jolly, aren't you a little disappointed that auto ISO doesn't work in manual? I know I am.

Drew

#33 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8391 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

Heard a good one....

The 5D is the Ferrari of cameras.

Well the 1960-1980 Ferrari of cameras. As in when Enzo Ferrari said "When you buy cars from me you pay for the engine, the rest is for free."

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#34 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:57 PM

Hey hey... I like the new California... I just don't like the engine anymore ;)

Drew

#35 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:14 AM

Question on the FAT32 limitation. This means it is limited to recording 4gb per card/dive, or on continuous record session? If in total, I wonder if you can fool in to starting a new file.

Seems a shame when you now have 32gb cards. It's like the early days of DOS and hard drives. Oooh, man am I old!

Edited by scorpio_fish, 18 September 2008 - 06:18 AM.

"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#36 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

I'd say it's the Smart Fortwo AMG 6.3. If it were a Ferrari, you'd have to suck up to Canon to buy it, then never use it, then take a boat load of crap for the 1000 shutter releases when you sell it, and take a terrible beating on resale. The 5D2 may be an imbalanced camera but it's no Ferrari!

I thought Canon was the BMW of cameras though. Or was that Apple was the BMW of computers? I get these idiotic car analogies confused.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#37 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:13 AM

Question on the FAT32 limitation. This means it is limited to recording 4gb per card/dive, or on continuous record session? If in total, I wonder if you can fool in to starting a new file.
Seems a shame when you now have 32gb cards. It's like the early days of DOS and hard drives. Oooh, man am I old!

George, on camcorders, the new file is automatically made and recording is continuous. I think the 5D2 doesn't do that. It'll stop at 4GB and you'll have to hit Set again.

I'd say it's the Smart Fortwo AMG 6.3. If it were a Ferrari, you'd have to suck up to Canon to buy it, then never use it, then take a boat load of crap for the 1000 shutter releases when you sell it, and take a terrible beating on resale. The 5D2 may be an imbalanced camera but it's no Ferrari!

I thought Canon was the BMW of cameras though. Or was that Apple was the BMW of computers? I get these idiotic car analogies confused.

Get out! Is there really a Smart AMG 6.3? I've seen the turbo 1.3 but the V8 is bigger than the car no? 5D2 is an AMG S-class... too much engine for the chassis and everything is auto. ;)

Drew

#38 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6193 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:26 AM

I get these idiotic car analogies confused.

i owned a car in Palau back in 2002

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#39 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

Mike! They actually let you drive, don't they know any better!!!! ;)

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#40 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

BTW, i'm scheduled for some facetime with this 5D Mk II and its sibling, the 50D next monday morning. as they say, the early worm gets the bird! (I know, but just picture your friendly earthworm with a shotgun, waiting for that robin to show up ;) ).

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca