• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:12 PM

I have a guy who wants me to edit M2V files that he made when importing HDV footage into a low end
Pinnacle NLE...don't know anything about these or Pinnaclel. Can these files then be dragged onto his external and could I then bring them into FCP without loss of resolution?
Thanks,
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

I have a guy who wants me to edit M2V files that he made when importing HDV footage into a low end
Pinnacle NLE...don't know anything about these or Pinnaclel. Can these files then be dragged onto his external and could I then bring them into FCP without loss of resolution?
Thanks,
Steve

Steve if they are M2V (thinking compressed to M2V like you use to make a DVD in DVD SP as opposed to HDV MPEG-2 type thing) there will be some loss because it has been compressed. You can convert them using Compressor into a more editable version, or edit them (works in the newer FCP, and at some point earlier, but do not recall when) but there is rendering. In other words there will be a loss of quality due to compression or resizing. On the other hand depending on the initial footage quality and how compressed it was, may not be too bad.

If somehow this m2v is actually how it is captured (have not used Pinnacle) it may just be a Codec/Wrapper issue there may not be loss, though rendering maybe needed.

EDIT TO ADD: You may just want them to FTP a small section to see how it works before going through the motions.

Also I would bet you can get a PC and Edius, it will do this instantly PLUS makes you coffee in the morning. :) . It is scary, I am thinking of getting Edius now because of Wagsy, but of course will run it on a Mac ;) I feel like a character from the Manchurian Candidate. Wagsy, what have you done to me?!?!?

Edited by TheRealDrew, 05 February 2008 - 08:33 PM.

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2249 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

Isn't .m2v just an elementary mpeg2 video stream (containing just the video, as opposed to "program" or "system" stream mpeg files that contain video and audio)? I get them out of of various MPEG2 encoders (standard definition). Here if one of my programs doesn't like them I rename them .mpg and they behave like a normal mpeg2 file.

They might actually even be the full HDV video stream. If you get trouble bringing into FCP try renaming them .mpg or even .m2t and see what happens.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2845 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, I think I will just have him send me the master tapes, I'd hate to start off a project with clips that have already lost some resolution. I just don't understand the PC world I guess.;-)
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.