Dominica bound!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 nudibranch

nudibranch

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:diving,photography, hiking, food,friends, family, books in no particular order. <br />Currently one of two persons authorized by the govt to apply for limited permits for in water sperm whale/marine mammal photography.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

A while back I started a thread regarding the lamentable state of air travel to (and from) Dominica.
Sadly I can't find it in the archives to continue, however...
The general consensus was that Dominica like the joke (best not mentioned here) is a place every one wants to go but is not willing to go through and get stranded in Puerto Rico, despite things getting changed by the airlines and not always for the better, American adding extra charges for internal flight bags and now cutting one flight, there are alternate routs here now.

From the US East Coast, (and elsewhere if you can swing it), Fly directly to Antigua on anything but American, then get a LIAT (yes I know they too have their problems), or Carib Aviation to Dominica.

Air Canada comes in every day to Antigua direct too.

Also now operating is a new service from St. Lucia, so again, fly into St.Lucia and get Carib Aviation to destination, this is a new service and the flight is linked more with the arrival from the UK than US, but it can be done. Best of all it comes into Canefield (DCF) which is only 20 mins out of Roseau for those staying in the sount of the island.
Travel Connect: http://www.travelcon...x?loadid=001062

Other news, Dive Fest is in its 15th year and kicks off in July, next year we may host two events so please check the Dominica Watersports site as time progresses. www.dominicawatersports.com
Izzy

Arun Madisetti
Roseau
Commonwealth of Dominica

www.imagesdominica.com

#22 indigo

indigo

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

Izzy,

Sorry that we didn't get to hook up - next time for sure!

I have to say that whilst I was expecting issues with LIAT the service was suberb, took off on time, landed on time (didn't even have time to do any shopping in Barbados as the LAT flight connection was early!!!

Not impressed with Fort Young, WATCH OUT FOR THE OLD ROOMS is all that I am going to say! The food was good but expensive. The little restaurant across the road (Robe De Creole) is lovely, even if the service is a little slow, even by Caribbean standards!

The guys from Dive Dominica were very nice, but I wasn't impressed with having to rush breakfast for the early start, only to have to hang around at the dive shop prior to the dive.... I should have dived with Nature Dive!

Also tried out Cabrits Dive, very friendly, good service, and a different type of diving in the north.

Next time I visit I'm planning to stay at the Evergreen!

#23 fpoole

fpoole

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:UW Photog, Hiking, cooking Wandering

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

Not impressed with Fort Young, WATCH OUT FOR THE OLD ROOMS is all that I am going to say! The food was good but expensive. The little restaurant across the road (Robe De Creole) is lovely, even if the service is a little slow, even by Caribbean standards!

Hmm... I'm on my way in November... to Fort Young...
Thank you for the heads up..

Edited by fpoole, 05 August 2008 - 09:22 PM.

Have Camera, Will Travel
www.poolesweb.com

#24 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1019 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

Indigo:

How did you consider Dominica's diving vs. St. V's? Comparable, better, worse, and in what ways?

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...