3 replies to this topic

#1 HeLiX

HeLiX

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 11:08 PM

Hi All,

I've just started using a Panasonic LX-10 in a Nauticam housing. I've also got a CMC2 mounted on a M67 flip diopter holder, and have little experience with stills so sorry if this seems like a silly set of questions!

With the CMC2 flipped off, working at 24mm, the edges of the flip holder are visible in the image. Generally I'd have to zoom to more like 35mm where there is only a very slightly visible black edge (which is the flip holder)

Was looking for some advice on what members would usually do here?

1. Take the flip holder off totally would be the easiest, but you never know when a nice macro shot might present itself! And would defeat the purpose of the flip holder...
  2. Would it be advisable to work at 35mm with the flip holder and CMC2 flipped off, or would some argue to shoot larger scenes at 24mm and then crop the edges out?

Thank in advance for any tips on this topic!

#2 Stig

Stig

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to be awkward and say "it depends".

Zooming to 35mm has the advantage that you are using all the pixels of your sensor (better resolution & sensitivity -assuming identical lens performance) but you may find you don't always need to zoom/crop that much as the vignetting will depend on the aperture chosen for the shot.  You can't really judge exactly how bad the vignetting is until you look on a larger screen, and of course without vignetting it's best to zoom out as far as you can and get closer (rule no. 1 in u/w photography).

You could try zooming so you only get a little bit of vignetting and crop as needed for each photo.  On the other hand you might quickly get bored with always having to crop your photos and just zoom to 35mm!

#3 HeLiX

HeLiX

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm wondering if other members have this issue as well, or if it's possibly just a mechanical issue specifically with my holder - maybe I'll drop Nauticam a line to ask if this is "normal"

With the flip holder on, but the CMC2 flipped off, regardless of the aperture, at 24mm there is always a black tube around the image. Even at 35mm there is slight vignetting where you can see the holder. Of course when I remove the holder, there is no vignetting at all.

#4 HeLiX

HeLiX

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:11 PM

Update here - currently shooting with an aspect ratio of 3:2, so will change to 4:3 which will effectively get rid of the black edges.

On land, I can still see the black edges, however should be OK underwater given it is a flat port and should yield a narrower angle of view.

On a side note - what are preferred aspect ratios from forum members? I don't print images out so 4:3 is workable using TV/Computers, however was interested in what others think