5 replies to this topic

#1 Cadell

Cadell

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hello,
I’m having trouble getting my two YS-D1 strobes to fire similarly. I’m currently at work so will have to post more examples later. My kit consists of an EM-5 in Olympus housing, flash set to fill, fiber optic cables, each connected directly to housing, no diffusers, eneloop pro batteries, two 5+8 arms and using between F3.5-F8, 1/60-1/250 shutter. What I’m noticing is that when:

Setting both strobes to TTL, EV+0, equally spaced, level with lens
L strobe: Correct exposure, but does not fill left of the frame
R strobe: Very under exposed, completely fills right of the frame. Will post example later. 

Trying to compensate R strobe
L strobe: TTL, EV+0 as above
R strobe: Manual, EV+full, slightly under exposed compared to left of frame, fills r side of frame. Will post example later. 

After playing with the settings more, to compensate R strobe
L strobe: TTL, EV-.5, 
R strobe: Preflash (but camera isn’t using a preflash!), EV+1 ,and the strobes are finally within a ballpark intensity of each other. But the left still isn’t filling as much of the frame as the right. See attached image. CxQGSmp.jpg

Any idea what's causing this? Or, anything I can do before sending them out?

#2 Bob_W

Bob_W

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

It's possible that one of the strobes is not performing properly. If you swap the strobes, do the symptoms reverse? A month ago, one of the members of our photo club gave a talk on strobe positioning. He described testing the strobes to make sure they were delivering the full guide number power. He'd had experiences where brand new strobes were not. Using a light meter, set strobe on full power 3 feet from a wall. Fire the strobe and measure the reflected light. With a GN of 24 divided by 3 feet, should read f/8. I've probably over simplified it, as I don't have a light meter. But hopefully, you get the idea.

Bob W

#3 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

Did you swap the fiber-optic cables? As I wrote in a different thread, with my setup (E-M5 and 2*Z240 or 1*YS110a) the flash problems were caused by the cables.

Jock

Edited by Jock, 07 February 2017 - 12:45 PM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de/
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#4 trimix125

trimix125

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hi,
Do you use the same kind of cable?
Is one maybe brocken or the end not propper clean?
Would like Jock said, try to switch the cables and see if the results are the same or opposite.
If there is no difference, change the strobes, test it, and the change the cable again.

I used a Omd 5 in a nauticam housing with 2 Inon D2000 type 2 and it worked good, but it was much better after getting multicore cable...
Now i have a Hugyfot housing with led Trigger, Aquatica was adaptet to fit, but was not relieable working, now i have a Turtle Trigger, but only get the ingnition with one of my strobes ( D2000 Type 4 ).
D2000 type 2, Z240 Type 2, S&S110a and S&s 250 pro are not working. And only with one cable, and i have half a dozent.......

Please keep us updated,
as i think that Problem will come more often with the led Triggers getting more used...
Regards,
Wolfgang

#5 Balage_diver

Balage_diver

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photo and electronics

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hi,
Do you use the same kind of cable?
Is one maybe brocken or the end not propper clean?
Would like Jock said, try to switch the cables and see if the results are the same or opposite.
If there is no difference, change the strobes, test it, and the change the cable again.

I used a Omd 5 in a nauticam housing with 2 Inon D2000 type 2 and it worked good, but it was much better after getting multicore cable...
Now i have a Hugyfot housing with led Trigger, Aquatica was adaptet to fit, but was not relieable working, now i have a Turtle Trigger, but only get the ingnition with one of my strobes ( D2000 Type 4 ).
D2000 type 2, Z240 Type 2, S&S110a and S&s 250 pro are not working. And only with one cable, and i have half a dozent.......

Please keep us updated,
as i think that Problem will come more often with the led Triggers getting more used...
Regards,
Wolfgang

Dear Wolfgang, 

Wich type of multicore cable do you have?   We use Sea and Sea II  cable and that's work all strobes.

What is the exact problem?  Can you write it?  We can help to you if you can share the problem.

Best

Balazs

(TRT-ELECTRONICS)

TTL for all strobe....   TURTE TTL TRIGGER

#6 adamtaylor

adamtaylor

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:53 AM

Shortly after getting my 2nd YSD1 I was having issues with imbalanced lighting.

I kept adjusting the low lightung one upward to compensate then suddenly would have blown images. No rhyme or reason.

Turns out I had unknowingly activated 'Slave' mode on one strobes by pushing and holding the focus light button while rinsing. It was firing slightly later than the other creating imbalanced lighting on short shutter speeds.

This may not be the case with you, but check to confirm that both lights on back of strobes cycle the same after firing.

I seem to recall one of mine cycled red, green, red. The other was red, blue, red.

If this isnt the case then like the others suggested I would start swapping synch cords around to see if that is the issue.

Good luck

Adam

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
<p>Olympus OMD E-M5, Nauticam Housing,12-40 f2.8 with 180mmm dome & extensions, 12-50mm & 60mm in macro port, 8mm Panasonic Fisheye in 4" mini-dome, 2 x YS-D1, Sola 800

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sea&Sea, YSD1, YS-D1, Sea and Sea, strobe