• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 String

String

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:15 AM

My Sola 3000 Flood appears to have died so looking at replacement options.

FWIW i shoot mainly wide angle, DSLR video in the tropics.

The limitations i found with the 3000 were (i) it wasnt wide enough so i really needed 2 and (ii) its not bright enough shallower than 20m.

So with that in mind, what are the potential options out there these days?  Ive seen mention of cheap chinese ones that actually seem to work OK and others say not.

Anything in particular to look at?  Cheapish would be nice but obviously prepared to pay whats needed.

#2 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 16 November 2018 - 06:51 AM

I shoot in similar conditions to you.  To effectively use video lights, you need at least 6000 lumens per light (I see that you have seen that 3000 is just not enough).  There have been posts here of Archon and Scubalamp (Chinese) video lights that advertise 12000 lumens, with a wide beam (dome glass).  One of these could work for you, and they go for about $600-700.  Two of these would be all the light you would need.

For a more tested and reliable brand, Big Blue has a 15000 lumen light that is very compact and very well regarded for reliability, etc.  It might be a little more expensive that the cheaper Chinese ones.

#3 String

String

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for that, ive decided to try Scubalamp V6K as its easy to source in the region i am now and seems to get decent writeups.