- - - - -

Travelling light - Chargers and batteries

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 TimG

TimG

Sperm Whale

• 2384 posts
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm seas, good food and fine wine. And Manchester City Football Club.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:44 AM

My only comment would be on the smart chargers. I don't know if the ones you've listed allow you to change the current per battery, and you may not have to, but i've found this thing amazing:

https://www.amazon.c...6210712&sr=1-18

Not the cheapest, and there may well be cheaper alternatives but being able to boost the charge when needed (say in between 2nd and night dive) and then having another 4 on for trickle charge (non-smart) is quite good. What's nice about this is that it also does AAA batteries. 

There may be more light weight ones that do 8, which would be preferable i guess!

I use a similar one of these too for regular charging (at home) of AA batteries - but without the USB facility. Like sinetwo, I find it is good. 

For travelling though I'm going with a USB charger and the USB AA battery holder/charger as Interceptor suggested. It's very neat, very portable and very flexible.  

Tim
(PADI IDC Staff Instructor and former Dive Manager, KBR Lembeh Straits)
Nikon D500, Nikkors 105mm and 8-15mm, Tokina 10-17mm,  Subal housing

http://www.timsimages.uk
Latest images: http://www.shutterst...lery_id=1940957

#22 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:10 AM

I use a similar one of these too for regular charging (at home) of AA batteries - but without the USB facility. Like sinetwo, I find it is good. 

For travelling though I'm going with a USB charger and the USB AA battery holder/charger as Interceptor suggested. It's very neat, very portable and very flexible.  

You can fast charge on USB as well if you have two chargers for AA/AAA just place two batteries each the batteries will receive double the current and this will charge a standard eneloop in 1 hour or a pro in 75’
Obviously you cant fast charge 8 but it is the same of a single 4 slots on fast charge
Bear in mind charging eneloop with more than half the ideal value shortens their overall life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#23 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

I've been using this 8 Cell AA charger for a couple of years now.  It works great, light weight, and has 8 channels.  I use a pair of Inon 330's, 4 Eneloop Pro 2500 cells each.  I carry 2 full sets for a total of 16 cells.  I usually swap sells after 2 dive's but have found I can easily shoot 3 dives and 500 shots on a single set a batteries.  I mostly shoot at 1/2 power or less.  The charger is fast enough to charge 8 cells from 0-100% in 5-6 hours so I can just alternate batteries every day or every 2-3 dives.

https://www.batteryjunction.com/8800.html $28

davehicks@hotmail.com

#24 Interceptor121

Interceptor121

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2295 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 11:24 PM

Dave this whole post was about avoiding chargers with a power supply and consolidating power to travel light. I have one of those chargers are home but they are bulky take space and require a dedicated plug which is what I wanted to move on from

Check my video, pictures and blog

YouTube Channel

Flickr Sets

Blog

#25 Vondo

Vondo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

Coincidently, the EBL charger was just recommended as the best USB option by Wirecutter, my go to site for reviews.

https://thewirecutte...attery-charger/

#26 shkashka

shkashka

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:adventurer, photographer and videographer, educational leader, environmentalist

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

wow guys thanks for summing all up and sharing great tips and tricks... travelling light is such a challenge for me and would love to be able to pack lighter than my last trip to Koh Tao. got stuck on the island for almost four months as I had too many things altogether and was too lazy to travel around with such a heavy luggage   :pig:

#27 Thrawn

Thrawn

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

I use ZMI ZI5 to charge Eneloops.  Very small and very light at about 50 grams.  Takes like 5 hours or so to fully charge, but not a big deal for overnight charging.

For 18650s batteries I use XTAR MC-2.  

The USB charging part I use 5-port Orico QSE-5U.

Baseus Transun USB-C + USB charger for my Lenovo laptop

Also a Xiaomi 20,000 mah powerbank when the power turns off.

All with weight as the main factor.   Very short lightweight micro-USB cables as well.

Edited by Thrawn, 30 April 2019 - 03:42 PM.