Photo
- - - - -

Why I hope oil prices move north of $250.

pollutionoil prices globalization oil peak oil

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

I have been watching a lot of interviews of Jeff Rubin, a Canadian economist. He has a few wide ranging theories regarding the price of oil and its ties with globalization. While his theories are provocative and aren't necessarily mainstream, I find them convincing.

Jeff Rubin on Oil and the End of Globalization

So in a nutshell - here's why I hope his forecast is correct:

If globalization trends become reversed then carbon emissions recede drastically. That's basically it. We would pollute less.

Of course, if his forecast are accurate, then travelling to PNG would be expensive beyond what I could afford. Digital camera prices would also be incredibly expensive. Prices of damn near everything would be more expensive. The percentage of disposable income used for necessities would increase (things like food, toilet paper and soap).

We would consume less as a species. And while I enjoy buying lots of shit, ultimately I would prefer we pollute less. I am painting in broad strokes here and touching on different points but I would be interested in others opinions on the matter (even though opinions completely opposite to my own).

Cheers,
Jeremy

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

I am not certain its easier...but there is another way. Have a global single child policy (as if everyone would do it). Then with time there are less people, leading to less stress on resources. Oil gets cheaper, trips to PNG get easier. Of course, you and I would not live long enough to see the change.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

I am not certain its easier...but there is another way. Have a global single child policy (as if everyone would do it). Then with time there are less people, leading to less stress on resources. Oil gets cheaper, trips to PNG get easier. Of course, you and I would not live long enough to see the change.

Unfortunately single child policies are not economically sustainable without voluntary or forced suicide policies at about 60 or 65.

Edited by loftus, 29 September 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:06 PM

I don't think you really want $250 oil. That would make it economically and financially feasible to drill damn near anywhere, at any depth, no matter how remote. Think of the impact then . . .

#5 BigJeff

BigJeff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:12 AM

Why wait until oil reaches $250?

You have the power to control your own consumption now.
Jeff (Sony SLT-A65, Ike Housing, 2 x DS-161)