• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 wrightsa

wrightsa

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:06 PM

Dear Wolf Eel - could you please let me know how you identified that your first Weefine ring light had a faulty sensor? I just bought one and sometimes it strobes and then other times it doesn’t. I thought it might be the fibre optics cable but that doesn’t seem to be the issue. I also read and re read manual to make sure it wasn’t user error either. I’ve used it on 3 dives now. It usually won’t strobe for the first 10 to 15 shots.. I turn it off and back on then try different power levels until it eventually works. On my last dive it also didn’t shoot reliably midway and towards the end of dive. I didn’t touch the settings at all once it started strobing to see if I could identify problem. When it’s working it’s great! Any help appreciated. Thanks

#22 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:05 AM

I reviewed both the Kraken (Weefine) 1000 and 3000 ring lights in issue #101 at uwpmag.com. I think that most of the questions ask above are answered in my review of both light. Find the review on the front page of the magazine in the back issues section, it is a Free PDF download.

Happy to answer any followup questions.

Attached Images

• Rudin_101 (dragged).jpg

#23 sunnyboy010101

sunnyboy010101

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:24 PM

It was process of elimination. It didn't work well from the first time underwater, so I gradually eliminated all other possible issues until it could only be the ring light. Ultimately I was doing an A/B test with the same camera & optical cord on an Inon Z240 and the ring light. The Inon would always trigger and the kraken would not. The rep suggested my power wasn't high enough, so I repeated the test with 100% power from the on-camera triggering strobe. Same result.

In the end they sent me a new Kraken 3000 and the new one worked from the very first time out of the box. That kind of "proved in hindsight" that it was the first 3000 that was at fault.

Note - everything else worked perfectly on the first 3000, just that it would not reliably fire when triggered.

#24 bvanant

bvanant

Sperm Whale

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1960 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

I am in the Philippines right now and every other dive I am using only the Kraken to shoot the tiny stuff

Pictures when we get home.

bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net