Goby from Perhentians, Malaysia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, Diving and Debauchery, but not necessarily in that order

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:27 AM

Please help with species ID.

Posted Image
Brian

"Downgrade, downgrade, you know it makes sense!"
Canon G9 & G7 in modified Canon WP-DC21 & WP-DC11 housings, 2 x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, no strobe, just internal flash.

Photos Profile

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

It's a blenny of some sort; these guys are really difficult to I.D. without seeing the whole body. I can't find a match in my references.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Thanks Marli, what are the diagnostic differences here that make it a blenny and not a goby.
Brian

Canon G9 & G7 in modified Canon WP-DC21 & WP-DC11 housings, 2 x Inon UCL-165 macro lens, no strobe, just internal flash.

Photos Profile

#4 trygon

trygon

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:13 AM

The cirri, those protrusions from his head between his eyes. Almost all blennies have them, gobies don't. Although they are not visible in you image a blennies pelvic fin are seperated whereas most gobies pelvis fins are fused together.
Bryce

#5 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Exactly, and more eloquently stated than I could have done. ;)
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#6 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused about gobies not having cirri between the eyes. This goby was identified by an expert and seems to have cirri. Fishbase also shows this goby with cirri. Perhaps it's the exception that proves the rule.
Brian

Photos Profile

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Perhaps there are some gobies with cirri. One other thing which is more obvious, (unless they are in a hole!) is the continuous dorsal fin, except in the cases of triplefins, and Ecsenius sp. that have a double lobed dorsal fin.

Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#8 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Thanks, but I'm still a bit confused about gobies not having cirri between the eyes. This gobywas identified by an expert and seems to have cirri. Fishbase also shows this goby with cirri. Perhaps it's the exception that proves the rule.

Well the image on the first link would certainly have me fooled into thinking it was a blenny but the fishbase image showing the two dorsal fins makes it clear that it is a goby. Perhaps it is the proverbial exception to the rule, as even other members of the same genus don't have "cirri", and it was apparently noteworthy enough to name it after having "tentacles". Sometimes this happens when a fish evolves to mimic another species, such as the false cleanerfish (Aspidontus taeniatus) and mimic filefish (Paraluterus prionurus). If this is the case it would be nice to know how it benefits the goby.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#9 BrianM

BrianM

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:03 AM

Thanks everyone for info. At least I now know it's a blenny.
Brian

Photos Profile