31 replies to this topic

#1 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 16 May 2004 - 09:36 PM

I understand that after a couple of delays the Sea and Sea DX70 housing for the D70 is now shipping to dealers outside of Japan on the 21st of this month.

#2 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 07:53 AM

Look forward to seeing the kit in action............

#3 The Hamburger

The Hamburger

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

Has anybody heard if it has shipped today?

#4 The Hamburger

The Hamburger

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 01:55 AM

To answer myself , sounds like it will ship next week arrive here and could clear customs and be in my hands by Tuesday!

#5 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 08:49 AM

Look forward to seeing it at last !

#6 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 08:19 PM

Well, just heard from our local Sea and Sea dealer that the housings had arrived and they will pick them up from the airport's custom today so I should be able to get my hands on the housing tomorrow. They ordered 7 and at least 6 had been spoken for so looked like there will be quite a few D70 in Sea and Sea housing around here.

#7 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 04:54 AM

Look forward to seeing it, I am sure it will be up and running on this sat. trip. Burger, this time, dont forget the O-ring - it helps !

#8 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:11 AM

It's here, its here. After waiting for 3 months after I placed an order!

Posted Image

#9 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2128 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Looks good, but I don't understand your strobe connections. Are you planning to use optical sync to the internal flash?
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#10 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:18 AM

Congrats.......I'm still waiting on my Ikelite housing :lol:

What kind of focus light are you going to use?

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#11 ikelite

ikelite

(In Memoriam)

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:33 PM

Ikelite will be shipping next batch of orders for Nikon D-70 this week............

#12 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

Looks good, but I don't understand your strobe connections. Are you planning to use optical sync to the internal flash?

I got the Ikelite to Nikonos adapter for dual strobe sync cord from Ikelite which should work fine.

Hopefully I will try it in a pool today then a real test this Saturday :lol:

The focus light is a UK light with xenon lamp ( I think it is UK, will have to check at home), unfortunately the holder is a bit too short so I still have to figure out how to get longer extension for my 70-180mm port.

#13 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:21 PM

Do you have any photos of your port setup and gears for the 70-180?

Sincerely,
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#14 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:45 PM

Do you have any photos of your port setup and gears for the 70-180?

Sincerely,
James Wiseman

Will do it tonight. 2 of my dive buddies and myself all plan to use the 70-180 with our D70 and Sea and Sea housing. We all ordered the custom made zoom gear from Sea and Sea but there has been no words so far from Sea and Sea. Basically we all use the Sea and Sea NX Compact Macro Port base with one extension ring and and Compact Macro Port.

For zoom gear, I am using the focus gear from the 105mm focus gear with af/mf (same as the zoom gear for the 17-35mm) which seems to fit the 70-180 well. My dive buddies use the regular 105mm focus gear which needed a bit of the end chopped off to make it shorter.

See here: http://www.damnam.or...topic.php?t=657
for his mod of the focus gear and port setup. This was done with his Sea and Sea housing for his F90, the ports are the same for the D70 housing.

#15 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:07 AM

Its a well put together housing although for an NX80 user its a little bulky. A few initial gripes though 1) the building in of an aperture gear selector taking into account SnS do not amke any aperture gears 2) the port lock was assembled upside down so I had to take it apart 3) there are 4 closing latches which is a pain if you do not have four hands 4) the SnS focus light bulkhead wiring is missing. More after the weekend when it will make it intot he water.

#16 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:19 AM

Funny, the same problem occurred on many of the D60 housings way back when with the upside down port lock. I would have thought they'd have fixed that by now.

The latch system is presumably the same as the D60, and can be difficult at first. Try this:

1. With the back off the housing, close all the latches.
2. Place the back on the housing.
3. In pairs, open 2 latches at a time (right and left, then top and bottom)
4. Hook the end of the 2 latches in place and close the latches
5. Repeat with 2nd set of latches

This prevents the latches from getting in the way as you try and place the back on the housing (eliminating the need for 4 hands :lol: ) and prevents you from nicking the o-ring by accident with a loose latch.

#17 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

That lens is going to need some support in the front! It's very heavy, and the port setups that are specifically made for the 70-180 have something that fits to the front of the lens to keep it centered in the port.

Otherwise:

The lens will torque forward putting a lot of strain on the lens mount. The D70 lens mount is not that strong

The lens will not be perpendicular to the plane of the port resulting in distortion

The lens will not be perpendicular to the sensor (because of the lens mount bending) resulting is image distortion.

I position a focus gear and focus knob under the 70-180 to help support it (photo by Eric Cheng):

Posted Image

Nexus uses a special ring that screws to the front of the lens and centers and supports the lens in the end of the port. You might consider something like this SSRA.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#18 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:33 AM

USA versions did not ship with the shutter activated focus light wiring either. The housing ships with only one sync connector, and has not provision for adding a second one on the top (one can be built in the focus light bulkhead, for redundency, though).

The M/A switch, and Flash EV Comp are not supported. I was surprised that a housing of this price (MSRP $1995) didn't access the M/A switch, and not accessing Flash EV Comp tells em Sea & Sea has no plans to support iTTL (an assumption).

The housing does allow the use of the AF-L/AE-L button from the right handle, in the same convenient way as the d100 did. Many users will define this function in the menu as AF-ON, and use it as Eric uses his beloved star button.

I too am interested in your configuration for the 70-180, Whitehead. Are you planning to use Autofocus? I think a better strategy for supporting that lens would be Sea & Sea's Custom flat port (driving focus, and possibly a/m shift) and driving the zoom of the lens from the housing. I'm also intersted in the speed in which they make the custom gear...

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#19 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:58 AM

James, thanks for the tip about supporting the lens. I will have to come up with some kind of solution for that. For now, a single rubberband is not quite thick enough and one on top of each other is slightly too big.
Oh well, I hope Whitehead is listening as he is much better at this sort of things than I am so once he figure out what to do, mine will be easy :lol:

Here is the picture of the 70-180 on a D70 in the housing. The 105 focus gear is a little wobbly on the 70-180 but something that a little rubber band seems to do the job for now.

Posted Image

Here is one with the port fully assembled

Posted Image

4 of us ordered the D70 housing I believed sometimes early March as soon as we got a hold of the D70 ourselves. 3 of us ordered the custom made zoom gear for the 70-180 at the same time with the housing, (also the zoom gear for 12-24) and no word from Sea and Sea yet despite a few enquiries from our dealer and the major dealer in Singapore.

The AF-L/AE-L will definitely become useful since we can't access the AF/MF button. Something that we were dreading for a while when we did not see any button corresponding to it in press release picture.

A little experiment with my cousins in the pool this evening with the 12-24mm, compact domeport and one Ikelite DS125 strobe.

Posted Image

Still a bit overwhelm by all the parts that i need to assemble and all the buttons on the camera. It was so much simpler with the Oly C5050 :D

#20 The Hamburger

The Hamburger

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:29 AM

Don't laugh, but I think that the solution to supporting the 70-180 could be double sided sticky tape and sponge attached to the underside of the lens.