Jump to content

- - - - -

Canon 300D / Ikelite Housing Purchasing and Setup Questions

  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Goteron


    Sea Wasp

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:46 PM

HI, I am new to this site. I am also new to underwater photography, but not photography. I currently have a Canon 300D that I have been using for quite some time. I am going to buy an Ikelite Underwater Housing for it. I have some quick questions I would like ask.

1. I ittend on purchasing these three items from B&H. It does not seem like the strobe comes with a sync cord that goes from the manual controller to the housing.

Do I need to purchase a Sync Cord for that, and if so which one?





Strobe Package


2. I will be using the EFS 18-55 lens. Can I use the zoom?

3. Do I need anything else with this kit?

4. Any recommendations you would make to this setup?

Thanks again, and I look forward to reading your response.

#2 james


    The Engineer

  • Super Mod
  • 9969 posts
  • Location:Houston TX

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:48 PM

Hi and welcome to Wetpixel. I'll move your post to the correct forum, where you should be able to get some help.

Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 kdietz



  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:07 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the Canon set-up, but I offer this:

Being an UW newbie I would recommend that you talk to a knowledgable dealer that specializes in UW equipment....we have several dealers that are sponsors on this site that could lead you in the right direction

Just click on one from the sponsors list to the right :lol:

I've ordered from at least two of them and you won't be sorry

Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's

#4 tshepherd


    Great Hammerhead

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • Location:Westfield, NJ, USA

Posted 03 June 2004 - 05:13 AM


I'd also suggest you talk to one of Wetpixel's sponsors (like Ryan at uwcp.com) rather than try and assemble the kit at B&H. Even if you end up spending more (which you may or may not), you'll get really good advice on what you do and don't need.

Quick answers:
1. yes, you'll need a sync cord. Which one depends on the wiring of the hotshoe / bulkhead on the housing.
2. I believe you can use the zoom on this lens, but it wouldn't hurt to look at Ikelite's port chart or to ask a knowledgeable dealer.
3. Something to carry it in, various camera related accessories (CF cards, etc)
4. Nice starting kit. If you go wider than the 18-55 lens (say 15mm FE), you'll most likely need an additional strobe if you're using the DS-50.

Hope this helps.

#5 paninaro



  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Seattle, WA USA

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:56 AM

I just got my setup for my D-Rebel, and is somewhat similar to yours- Ikelite housing and only the kit lens - but I went for the "big dog" DS-125 strobe instead.

I definitely second the opinion that it would be wisest to talk to a store that deals in a lot of this stuff rather than try to put it together yourself from B&H. I expect you'll find Ryan at uwcp.com (or another dealer) can put together a package for you that won't be any more expensive, and you'll know it will work well together.

1. Yes, you'll need a sync cord; the 4103.51 cord or the shorter version, 1405.24.
2. Yes, you can use the zoom on the kit lens with this housing and port. Don't forget to remove any filters you may have on the camera lens, or you may hit the inside of the port when fully extended. (There's a sleeve you put on the lens that engages with a gear attached to a knob on the housing to let you zoom in and out underwater.)
3. You will want something to carry all this gear in. Since I haven't figured out an ideal solution yet, I have no advice here. :lol:
4. This is a pretty good starting kit; if you plan to do a lot of shooting at the wide-angle end of the kit lens, though, the DS50 may be underpowered and have too narrow a coverage angle, and you'll need to add a second DS50 or go to a DS125.

When you combine expensive hobbies, the costs don't add - they multiply.

#6 Goteron


    Sea Wasp

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have still be doing my research on the subject and just about have it narrowed out. As I go to school in NY I am going to go to B&H this weekend to look at the housing and strobe before I spend this kind of money. Its cheaper for me to buy a C-5050, housing and strobe, but I really like my rebel, so... we will see how it goes. Again, Thanks for all the help.

#7 sethgold



  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 11:20 PM

I had a somewhat different experience using a WetPixel partner. I tried to buy a Sea&Sea Housing for a Canon 10D and after 3 days of repeated calling, and not receiving a promised callback, I gave up and called B&H. I talked with Howard, in the UW photo dept, who was I found very responsive, well informed and helpful. I would not hesitate to give B&H a call.