• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 03:59 PM

Having had a couple of weeks to digest and evaluate the results from my first outtings with the Fuji S2/Aquatica setup I would have to say my overall impression is more positive than I had anticipated. My macro and closeup shots look just as good, if not better, on the computer screen as any scanned film.
My only real disappointment is the color banding I am getting in the blue water area on a lot of my wide-angles. The image below was shot on the Oro Verde wreck on Grand Cayman. I shot in RAW but some banding is still visible.
Posted Image

Does anyone have any hints to avoid banding or are there any post processing software solutions to eliminate it.

Larry

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 08:24 PM

Hi Larry,

What color setting are you using for your monitor? If it's just 8 bit, then you will get banding.

On my monitor, I don't see any banding in this shot.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2351 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 09:34 PM

I've seen banding in blue water before. I believe I was told it was a Jpeg artifact. If you print from a non Jpeg file you won't get the banding.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8572 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:30 AM

I also don't see any banding in this image either. In fact I don't see much wrong with this shot at all! It takes me straight there. Looks to me like this shot was taken at about 11 am - and I'm surprised the wreck isn't crawling with divers!

I think that the blue backgrounds in my images are smoothest when I shoot in RAW - then output as a 16bit TIFF, sort out levels in PS and then convert to 8bit TIFF for saving.

The other (obvious) reason that your shot has a range of different blues in the background is that you are using a 10.5mm Fisheye - which sees such a wide angle of background that you always get a range of blues - rather than a nice clean single colour that you can achieve with a tighter lens.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D5 (Subal housing). Nikon D7200 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:33 AM

Hi Larry,

What color setting are you using for your monitor?  If it's just 8 bit, then you will get banding.

On my monitor, I don't see any banding in this shot.

Cheers
James

Hmmm....the settings that I have on my laptop are: 256 colors, High Color (16 bit,) True Color (24 bit,) True Color (32 bit.) When I change my setting to True Color (32 bit) I loose the banding. At High Color (16 bit,) I see it. This is an area that I'm a little fuzzy on. Thanks, I'm learning

Larry

#6 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:26 AM

The other (obvious) reason that your shot has a range of different blues in the background is that you are using a 10.5mm Fisheye - which sees such a wide angle of background that you always get a range of blues - rather than a nice clean single colour that you can achieve with a tighter lens.  

Alex

Alex,
One thing I did notice about the 10.5 is that it excells at these kind of aireal view wide-angle reef/wreck shots. The corner to corner sharpeness is vey good and the circular distortion is not as noticable as it is in CFWA. Of course you have to position the horizon carefully and shoot from the right angle to get it to work

On my next trip to Bonaire I want to try the Windjammer using the 10.5 and available light at 1600. It could be interesting.

Larry