• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 06:35 AM

Alright, just took this picture over the weekend when I got my D70 and Sea and Sea housing wet for the first time. It is a big learning curve switching from Oly C5050 with 1 Ikelite DS125 strobe over to D70 with 2 Ikelite strobes. Anyhow, this picture was taken with 70-180 lens.
Hopefully Whitehead and TheHamburger will share some of their pictures as well. A lot more impressive than my attempts.
Posted Image
F36, 1/30 s.

#2 marriard

marriard

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

Alright, just took this picture over the weekend when I got my D70 and Sea and Sea housing wet for the first time. It is a big learning curve switching from Oly C5050 with 1 Ikelite DS125 strobe over to D70 with 2 Ikelite strobes. Anyhow, this picture was taken with 70-180 lens.

F36, 1/30 s.

Nice start, although the settings you used for this shot are not somthing you would typically use for this sort of shot. That particular lens gives you its best Depth of Field at around F16/F11 rather than higher.

That is also a very slow shutter speed for any subject without a tripod or if there is any current.

I would have probably taken this image at around 1/90 & F16 and adjusted the strobes for lighting appropriately. This gives you a lot more room for error - especially if the subject could move or is moving slightly.

M

#3 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the tip. I still try to figoure out the best setting for the camera.
I was laying on the sanding bottom so movement was not so bad a problem. With my Oly, I used ot set everything at F8 then played with the shutterspeed.

Also I have been wondering about adding a diopters to the 70-180. Does anyone use a diopter with this lens, if so, any particular one?

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 02:39 PM

Yes, this lens is EXCELLENT with a diopter. I recommend a +1 (Hoya or B+W) or the Nikon 5t (~1.5 diopter).

This will let you focus closer and thus get greater magnification. You will not be able to focus out past about 30" from the camera, but you probably won't want to do that anyhow.

FYI Folks, it's not possible to set this lens to F36, so he's probably looking at the F-stop in the EXIF, where it records the actual f number as calculated by the camera (taking into acct the bellows effect).

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 ssra30

ssra30

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:58 PM

Yes, this lens is EXCELLENT with a diopter.  I recommend a +1 (Hoya or B+W) or the Nikon 5t (~1.5 diopter).

FYI Folks, it's not possible to set this lens to F36, so he's probably looking at the F-stop in the EXIF, where it records the actual f number as calculated by the camera (taking into acct the bellows effect).

Cheers
James

Hi James, I will try the 70-180 with the Nikon 5t in a few weeks and see what happen. Hopefully I will have a chance to practice with this setup a bit more before going to Lembeh Strait next month.

Quick question regarding F-stop. I guess I just saw F36 on the LCD display of the camera and EXIF file. If I want to calculate the distance using the strobe guide number, would I still use what the camera read out as F stop or do I use the F-stop on the lens itself (of course with it being in a port, I have no idea how to figure out what the actual F-stop on the lens is). I guess I am a bit confused here.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:12 AM

Use the F-stop that appears in the viewfinder when you do your calculation to set your strobe power.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 whitehead

whitehead

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Lottery Tickets

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:37 PM

The other sample shots from the 3 cameras are here:

http://www.damnam.or...topic.php?t=635

Sorry but was too lazy to post them individually

#8 mantashrimpman

mantashrimpman

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 12:56 PM

what are the f settings and what contitions uses what setting???