D70 with the Kit Lens Underwater

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:49 AM

There is a very small chance that I may have an Ikelite D70 housing for my next trip to Cozumel.

If I do manage to get the housing, it will probably be the day before I leave for Cozumel, so no time to test in the pool, and no time to order an extra accesories I might need.

I only own the Kit lens at this point, so that's what I'll be shooting. I've never used a "diopter" before, but I've heard people mention on a few occasions that I may need one to get focus. Does this mean the lens may not work at all without one? That would not be good!

Is this what I should buy?

Do I only use these for attempting macro shots with the 18-70? And I'm assuming that the way you'd shoot macro is at the 70 end with a diopter on the lens?

With the diopter on the lens, how would that effect th 18mm end of the lens?

Obviously I'm a bit confused again.......

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 06:56 AM

Hi Jim,

Using a diopter for wideangle, you would be at 18mm and using the Ikelite dome port recommended for this lens. At that setting, you may get better CLOSE FOCUS WIDE ANGLE shots using a +2 diopter. The camera will probably be able to focus without the diopter, but things very close to the dome may not be sharp (Ask Eric Cheng about this).

For Macro, zoomed to 70mm using a +1 diopter will bring your closest focus closer to the end of the port, resulting in more magnification. But keep in mind that on that dive you will not be able to focus on things more than about 3 feet away.

You can't go wrong buying a closeup set. Make sure the mm size is correct for your lens. The brand you chose is not widely recognized as being the best, but it should be adequate.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:51 PM

hummm.....I bought a +4 diopter for the 18-70mm per Ikelite's webpage....haven't had a chance to test it underwater yet.....my trip got cancelled to the FG's because the Sea Searcher lost her engine....I'm signed up on the Fling for the next weekend....I've got time to get another diopter if I know that I'll need one

Anyone have experience with this setup yet?

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

Karl: is that this coming weekend that you're going on the Fling, or next weekend. If it's next weekend, I think I may be able to go. What shop did you book with?

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#5 davehicks

davehicks

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 10:20 PM

hummm.....I bought a +4 diopter for the 18-70mm per Ikelite's webpage....haven't had a chance to test it underwater yet.....my trip got cancelled to the FG's because the Sea Searcher lost her engine....I'm signed up on the Fling for the next weekend....I've got time to get another diopter if I know that I'll need one

Anyone have experience with this setup yet?

Karl

I just recieved my D70 housing today. (Thanks Ryan!) I got the dome port for the kit lens as well, plus a flat port for the Nikon 60mm.

I picked up a set of Tiffen diopters from B&H last week for about $55. This set includes a +1, +2, and +4 in a very nice felt lined rigid case. You can actually stack them if need be to get various levels of magnification if need be, but I have not checked for fit yet.

B&H had single lenses for about $35, but I figured it was worth a few extra dollars for some flexability.

Dave

#6 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 02:48 AM

Good idea Dave..........I can't get in a pool before my next trip to test and I hate to waste a dive with the wrong diopter....I'm going to ask Ikelite to verify the correct one....when are you going diving with the new rig?

James, I sent you a PM :lol:

Karl
Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 08:16 AM

Karl,

I didn't get one. Can you try again?

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#8 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 04:00 PM

I got a response from Ikelite that the 18-70mm has been tested underwater and the +4 diopter is recommended. He doubted the +1 or +2 would work...
www.kdietz.com

#9 Detonate

Detonate

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Off Roading, Rock Climbing, Mt. Biking, etc...

Posted 18 June 2004 - 05:25 AM

Well, I just ordered the +1, 2, and 4 Close Up set. Should be here sometime next week. As soon as I have all my pieces together I'll test all of them and see what happens.

Hopefully figure something out BEFORE Cozumel. :)

#10 Starbuck

Starbuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 06:38 AM

Hey Guys -

Ive been reading your threads with interest.. I just ordered d70 and Ike housing... Where do the diopters fix to port and how do you use them.. Why do you need them? Darn, I thought I had everything ordered on my list!

Michael Palasz

#11 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:17 AM

Michael, the diopters screw into the front of the lens...very simply stated - they allow the lens to focus closer and match the optics of the dome port...

As I've been advised by Ikelite, the 18-70 will require a +4 diopter...I bought mine from adorama...

The 12-24 does not require a diopter with the Ike dome

Karl
www.kdietz.com

#12 dhaas

dhaas

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:18 AM

Jim, Karl and anyone else,

Do a search in the forums for "diopter" and you'll come across all the previous posts on using them with zoom lenses behind dome ports.

For the Nikon kit lens as Ike himself states a +4 will give you full range focus UNDERWATER. Diopters thread on your lens (they look like a filter) inside the housing. It's very important to NOT ADD ANY OTHER FILTERS (skylight or UV protector type) stacked on the front of your lens. Manufacturers have usally specified either an extended dome port length or some port with extension sections to get a zoom lens physically in the best range for the lens to focus with a diopter if necessary. More detail on this in previous diopter posts.

While a lot of folks think using a slightly weaker +1 or +2 may get the lens to focus in a slightly different overall range, the manufacturer's recommendations is usually the best starting point for in focus photos underwater.

Good luck!

David Haas
www.pbase.com/dhaas

#13 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1096 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

Does the 18-70 exhibit similar distortion characteristics to the 12-24 when used with diopters?

Ryan

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#14 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:29 AM

Don't know yet Ryan - hopefully we'll know soon.

The reason I don't like using a +4 diopter is Chromatic Aberration (sp???). With the single element diopters, the stronger the diopter, the worse the aberration.

I'm booked on the Flower Gardens trip w/ Karl and Kimberly next weekend. I've got the Ike D100 housing to try out, so maybe they'll let me get in a dive w/ the 18-70 as I'm curious about this lens.

Maybe if I let them try the Titan w/ the 70-180 rig...:-)

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#15 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:55 AM

Hey James that's great.....You are certainly welcome to try out the 18-70...I've only got the B+W +4 diopter..67mm....

The weather looks great for this weekend....hope it holds :)

Karl
www.kdietz.com

#16 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 12:44 PM

The weather does look good for this weekend. I'm heading out on Fling sunday night to assist with the FGBNMS coral coring trip, should be interesting.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#17 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 07:53 PM

Ok, well, I'm booked for the 26th/27th on the Fling.

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes