• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

New Macbooks expected this week; one of the many articles discusses the possibility of an iphone like touch screen.
http://articles.mone...pleLaptops.aspx
If ultimately that means my MacBook pro would be like a Cintiq, that would be pretty cool.

Edited by loftus, 10 October 2008 - 04:59 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

New Macbooks expected this week; one of the many articles discusses the possibility of an iphone like touch screen.
http://articles.mone...pleLaptops.aspx
If ultimately that means my MacBook pro would be like a Cintiq, that would be pretty cool.

Yeah, been watching this. It is interesting to note that the ads for the media event talk about notebooks and not laptops :blink:

#3 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1994 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

i'll almost certainly buy one right away. Love my current macbook. No way i can be forced back to windows anymore.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10708 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:22 AM

But Cor... Bill did the robot in the ads... that's gotta count for something! :blink:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:26 AM

The new MacBook has become interesting with the decent graphic card and dropping 1/2 lbs of weight. Plus option for SSD. If they had not pulled the FW port I would have probably ordered it already. Hmmmmm. Also better graphics in the MacBook Air, but still only one USB....

Edited by TheRealDrew, 14 October 2008 - 10:28 AM.

#6 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:33 AM

The new MacBook has become interesting with the decent graphic card and dropping 1/2 lbs of weight. Plus option for SSD. If they had not pulled the FW port I would have probably ordered it already. Hmmmmm. Also better graphics in the MacBook Air, but still only one USB....

Is there anywhere I can go 'on-line' to have a looky at the details yet?

R

#7 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

The new 24" LED display is pretty sweet, too.

http://www.apple.com...s/features.html

But it will only work with the new laptops.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Is there anywhere I can go 'on-line' to have a looky at the details yet?

R

The Apple site got pounded, this just came out but it is back on line

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
http://www.apple.com/macbook/
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

One last thing to note, they made these more green:

# Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure
# Mercury-free LED-backlit display with arsenic-free glass
# PVC-free internal cables
# BFR-free internal components
# Largely recyclable, low-volume packaging
# ENERGY STAR. Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
# EPEAT Silver rating. EPEAT Gold ratin

Edited by TheRealDrew, 14 October 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#9 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1994 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

You really think you'll miss that extra FW port? I generally dont use more than 1.
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#10 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4575 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

They do look very nice, but no major groundbreaking changes that I can see; it does appear that a non-glossy screen is no longer an option - I'm not a fan of glossy screens for photo editing. With my MBP only about 9 months old, there's no huge incentive to upgrade.

Edited by loftus, 14 October 2008 - 06:06 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#11 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

You really think you'll miss that extra FW port? I generally dont use more than 1.

On the Macbook there will be no FW port, just two USB ports.

On the Air still one USB Port and I am always slightly concerned about having just one port (though it may be also just one bus on the MacBook also). I prefer having two just in case.

On the MacBook Pro they removed the FW400 and just left the FW800, but not a huge issue to because of the Express Card slot.

As to not having FW, it is becuase of extra hard drives and more so video camera capture when travelling. The weight drop, better video card and the other improvements does make the MacBook tempting otherwise to me.

If they knocked some weight off the 15" it would have been nice, but the specs seem to indicate the same weight. Prior to the updated MacBook the 15" and 13" were rather close in weight so the 15" seemed to be more worthwhile.

The life of diving and trying to cut weight and size to get all the toys you need :blink:

#12 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

I'm actually rather disappointed. I didn't think that the enclosure/bezel on the prior model really needed changing. And if, as they say, the outer shells are just shells and not structural, well why not change to the unibody manufacture for the chassis and keep the current surrounds. I'm not a fan of the glossy screens. My office iMac is a glossy, the only good thing is I can see people sneaking up on me. Also not a fan of the chiclet keyboard. And how does JoeSixpack edit their video now??? No firewire on the macbooks immediately pushes them up to a MBP for capture. Or to a Sony Vaio/Vistabook (heaven forbid :fool: ).

Man, I sound like a grumpy old man.

GET OFF MY LAWN :blink:

On the plus side, the NVIDIA GPUs sound nifty, and hopefully will give Aperture a kick in the pants speed wise.

I'll probably end up buying one, my laptop is the next one in the family upgrade cycle. But not for a while.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#13 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2826 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Very unimpressive update. The biggest change is the chassis construction which ultimately doesn't contribute to function. I'd like to see quad core and SSD+hard drive. DisplayPort is nice though. All the notebooks drive the 30" display now. The MBA got a lot better. Too bad it didn't get FW added.

Wonder how long before a 17" version?
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#14 ralphy

ralphy

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:riding my motorbike(s)

Posted 14 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

The Apple site got pounded, this just came out but it is back on line

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/
http://www.apple.com/macbook/
http://www.apple.com/macbookair/

One last thing to note, they made these more green:

# Highly recyclable aluminum enclosure
# Mercury-free LED-backlit display with arsenic-free glass
# PVC-free internal cables
# BFR-free internal components
# Largely recyclable, low-volume packaging
# ENERGY STAR. Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
# EPEAT Silver rating. EPEAT Gold ratin

Thanks for that.
I've found it on the UK site too, quite a difference in price 'over here'. :blink:

R

#15 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

Very unimpressive update. The biggest change is the chassis construction which ultimately doesn't contribute to function. I'd like to see quad core and SSD+hard drive. DisplayPort is nice though. All the notebooks drive the 30" display now. The MBA got a lot better. Too bad it didn't get FW added.

Wonder how long before a 17" version?

Jobs mentioned a refresh of te 17" inch. Overall not overly impressive, but they came so close, at least for me. Adding a FW port to the Air (or not removing it from the lighter MacBook), the graphics update and the drop in price in the SSD options, well would have had my credit card out for one of these for dive trips....

#16 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:13 PM

Jobs mentioned a refresh of te 17" inch. Overall not overly impressive, but they came so close, at least for me. Adding a FW port to the Air (or not removing it from the lighter MacBook), the graphics update and the drop in price in the SSD options, well would have had my credit card out for one of these for dive trips....

I can't believe that Apple bailed on their "own" FW800 on the Air.
Were it not for tis faux pas I would be buying one right now (before momma gets home)

Edited by hoovermd, 14 October 2008 - 04:14 PM.

---------------
Mark

#17 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2859 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Were it not for tis faux pas I would be buying one right now (before momma gets home)

LOL

Anyway they never put FW at all in the Air, just one USB. I would be happy if it was a 4 pin even to make it fit :blink:

#18 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 05:58 PM

I thought this article was quite amusing .. seems others feel the same.
http://mashable.com/...14/macbook-pro/

Partly due to boredom, and partly due to lack of more important news, I’ve taken the time to read the extremely thorough coverage of the new Macbook Pro, due to officially come out in a matter of hours. I don’t expect much from these type of events and I know that the hype around Apple is almost always (it wasn’t in the case of iPhone, hence “almost”) hugely exaggerated, but if the rumors are true, this time even I am underwhelmed.

What’s described over at Daring Fireball - and it seems to be an accurate description - is some cosmetic changes to Apple’s laptop line. Yes, that’s right: nothing important has changed at all - the Air didn’t get a second (or third) USB port; Macbook Pros still have pretty much the same CPUs inside; the screen is still glossy (yuck); hard drives in the Air and the 17” Pro have been updated, and the new Pro has a better (but still not top of the line) video card. That’s it: that’s all. Unless, of course, you’re really, really stoked about that black keyboard and aluminum finish and no-button trackpad (I’d like two buttons, not one, and not none at all, thank you). I’m not.

It’s a laptop, folks. Those come out every day.

Edited by Giles, 14 October 2008 - 08:37 PM.

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#19 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

edited as i double posted accidently.

Edited by Giles, 14 October 2008 - 06:01 PM.

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#20 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

I thought this article was quite amusing .. seems others feel the same.
http://wetpixel.com/...topic=26918&hl=

recursion
6 dictionary results for: recursion
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
re·cur·sion /rɪˈkɜrʒən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-kur-zhuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun Mathematics, Computers.

see recursion.
---------------
Mark