• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 reanvdm

reanvdm

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 10:04 AM

If no one has, I have an RX100 mk1 that I can have a try on. Water here is just green rather than blue.

I'd be interested to hear also: how does the AX100 compare with the RX100 MK4 or (soon MK5) underwater?

It seems to be a clear win for UW video to buy the RX100 MK4/5 given same sensor, codec, bitrates etc. - camcorder ergonomics go out the window anyhow with UW housing.

#42 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:00 AM

I have an RX100iv but no longer a housing, so cant try...

But given that some testing with the A7sii also seems to suggest that you get better results with a magenta filter, its well worth trying and may confirm that this is true for yet another Sony camera.

#43 reanvdm

reanvdm

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:48 AM

I will have access to the new RX100V with housing in a few weeks. I'll give that a try and report back. With luck the new sensor does a better job at white balance than the IV.

#44 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:15 PM

Please post your results Reanvdm, I will be very interested in seeing the results.

Cheers Pete.

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging.
www.duai.com.au

#45 dreifish

dreifish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:12 AM

If no one has, I have an RX100 mk1 that I can have a try on. Water here is just green rather than blue.

I'd be interested to hear also: how does the AX100 compare with the RX100 MK4 or (soon MK5) underwater?

It seems to be a clear win for UW video to buy the RX100 MK4/5 given same sensor, codec, bitrates etc. - camcorder ergonomics go out the window anyhow with UW housing.

The ergonomics of the Gates AX100 are going to be head-and-shoulders above a still housing for the RX100 line when filming video. Things like a flip-in-flip-out red filter, adjustable boyancy/trim characteristics and a 12x lens/Gates GP34A wet lens combo that lets you shoot everything from 100 degree wide angle to near macro without any lens swaps may seem like small differences, but they make a big difference if you're primarily a video shooter.

#46 Laval

Laval

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:UW videography: macro and wide angle

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:04 AM

I have started using the Color Finale plugin for FCPX for my color correction work and its absolutely fantastic for post color work.

bubffm

Hey bubffm,  I am thinking of buying Color Finale for FCPX, and glad to hear that you had a good experience with it.  Do you have any articles, videos, tips or recommendations of using Color Finale specifically for UW video color correction?

#47 Laval

Laval

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:UW videography: macro and wide angle

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:07 AM

Hi All,

Here is an article that I co-wrote with John Ellerbrock from Gates regarding the Sony AX100 and attaining an acceptable white balance from the AX100.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers Pete.

http://www.gateshous...ny-AX100-R1.pdf

Hi Pete,

Great article! Thank you for sharing.  Are there any other articles related to UW videography and post production you could share?

Also, what is your opinion about Sony AX700 and Z90 camcorders?  I saw one review by John Ellerbrock on the Gates' website.

Many thanks.

Val

#48 Pete L

Pete L

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

Hey Val, I haven't had time to write another in depth article for the AX700 as yet but it is a significant leap forward over the AX100.

I am currently in the process of creating a full post production training series, using the free version of Davinci Resolve so keep an eye out for that when it is released.

Cheers Pete.

Owner of Down Under Aquatic Imaging.
www.duai.com.au

#49 bubffm

bubffm

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 12:49 AM

Hey bubffm,  I am thinking of buying Color Finale for FCPX, and glad to hear that you had a good experience with it.  Do you have any articles, videos, tips or recommendations of using Color Finale specifically for UW video color correction?

I think Color Finale is not really necessary any more now with FCPX 10.4, which has better build-in color tools. However, I - like Pete - do most color correction / editing work in Davinci Resolve now, which has seen some massive leaps in functionality over the past two years. 

#50 reanvdm

reanvdm

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 01:10 AM

Hey Pete - apologies, for some reason I did not receive the alert to your 2016 reply! 
Some of my reponse may be a bit "after the fact"!

Did a few shoots with the RX100 MK5 in a Nauticam housing. Unable to compare with the AX100 or AX700 - but hopefully what I can share helps a few people decide.

First - a few good points (we are happy with the system overall) The housing is compact, and with the Nauticam grip/tray pretty ergonomic. The footage looks great - ended up as main camera for a 30 minute TV episode of kids swimming down a river gorge.  AF awesome for video - but prob similar to AX100 etc. Nice slowmo.

Used Nauticam WWL-1 wet lens giving 130 degree wide, which is awesome underwater. Stacked +10 wet lenses for macro give >1:1 - of you can get the cam close enough and steady!

The not-so-good probably more useful to others:

• WB still a challenge. Need to execute a manual WB in photo mode, and even then it was waay off.
    I tried a Magic Filter (Auto-Magic) gel pressed on inside of the port, then camera in auto.
    Results were a mixed bag as expected, often giving me weird orange hues.
    I really missed a flip in red filter as you would have in a Gates video housing.
  • The Nauticam viewfinder was a bear to use. In 4k mode, it dims, so not visible near surface (or eg when I did the river gorge shoot). The Nauticam LCD magnifier/cover helped, but only when at eye level. Here the Gates system loosk way better for UW use.
  • Balance on the housing tricky once you have tall light arms attached - keeps tipping vertically. 
  • Battery life too short - I have to swop out battery every dive, which means opening housing etc.
  • Overheats when filming in 4k - even underwater. Not so much an issue if you're just grabbing shots here and there - but a real problem if you're filming events unfolding - or building a sequence of people doing their thing.
  • Stabilisation is ok, but only active mode really cuts it when not filming wide. Unfortunately active is only available in HD.
  • Did I mention the 1inch working distance that a 70mm lens gives with a +10 diopter?

Anyhow - overall the system met our needs for a while, but I am not sure I would go the same route again for serious UW work. All the niggles genuinely add up.

+1 for Resolve to get the best out of colours in post!

Edited by reanvdm, 01 October 2018 - 01:32 AM.

#51 thetrickster

thetrickster

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 936 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:57 AM

Would be interested in that, haven't touched Resolve yet, so something like this would be very interesting!

I am currently in the process of creating a full post production training series, using the free version of Davinci Resolve so keep an eye out for that when it is released.

Cheers Pete.

Regards, Richard

---

Camera Rig: Nauticam Lumix GH5/GH5s, 14-42mm II, WWL-1, Atomos Inferno, ScubaLamp V6K Pro Lighting

www.richardwait.com